Dip stick quandary, it indicates low level on initial pull out?

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisyse

When I first remove the engine dip stick, the oil level only covers about 1/4" of the tip. When reinserted and removed, the level indicated increases to the full mark, which is correct. Could anyone explain why? This seems to happens after the engine has not been used at least for several days.
engine: 1989 universal M25XP 23hp

Thanks,
Chris

mark_53

KWKloeber

Quote from: chrisyse on October 15, 2017, 10:31:53 AM
When I first remove the engine dip stick, the oil level only covers about 1/4" of the tip. When reinserted and removed, the level indicated increases to the full mark, which is correct. Could anyone explain why? This seems to happens after the engine has not been used at least for several days.
engine: 1989 universal M25XP 23hp

Thanks,
Chris

Q?.

2. Yep
3. No

There's a few theories, but none I've bought in to as being definitive. It's normal, not to worry.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

The Universal diesel has an unusually short dipstck tube.  When the engine runs it distributes enough oil through out the engine to lower the level in the pan below the dipstick tube.  When the engine shuts down and the oil returns to the pan it can't displace the air that's trapped in the dipstick tube.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Guys : What Ciao means is that after the engine shuts down the air in the "sealed" dipstick tube keeps the oil from going up into the tube.  When you pull the dipdtick out from the tube it releases the air and the oil seeks its level of the oil in the oil pan!!

Like most engines if the dip stick is not seated all the way, you might well get oil spraying all over the place!!!!!    Yes, all that BLACK dirty oil!    :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

I've noticed this too.  Here is an explanation...

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1667.msg9042/topicseen.html#msg9042

Yes that's one reasonable theory, I haven't seen where that is proven out.
If that's the cause, shouldn't it happen right after each shutdown (relatively quickly) as soon as HOT, thin, (not cold, sticky) oil drains to the pan? 
Remember too, that as the oil (and dipstick tube) cools, it would draw some oil up into the tube.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailaway

Have the same problem. What I do is take dip stick 1/2 out break the air seal put it back in. Then it reads ok. Charlie