Where to locate mainsheet turning block under new rigid vang mast fitting?

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisyse

Hi,

Can an existing post, which secures a turning block and is located on the side of the mast collar be moved to the aft end of the collar, in place of the mounting screw? Is the collar threaded to accept the post? Does someone make a eye strap that would fit over the exposed threaded ends of the U- strap used to connect the deck to mast turnbuckle located in the salon ceiling?

I'm installing a rigid vang on a Mark I, and need to reroute the main sheet so it doesn't rub on the vang. In order to run parallel and aft of the vang, I need to mount a block below the vang's mast fitting. Can a post on the side of the mast collar be moved to the aft end of the collar, in place of the mounting screw?

Thanks for any help.
Chris

Ed Shankle

Chris, sounds like the essence of your question is, how to best reroute the main sheet when a rigid boom vang is in place? If so, consider removing the block from the boom bail closest to the mast and also the  block attached to mast just under the boom and install a mast collar block on the aft most collar post. The rerouted main sheet should run fair just to the side of the vang.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Noah

This is how my Garhauer vang leads. My mainsheet is the black line. All works well.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

chrisyse

Ed,

Yes, that's my question. "how to best reroute the main sheet when a rigid boom vang is in place".
I agree and have done what you did, but my concern is that main sail trim with change depending on what tack one is on, because the block at the mast collar is not on the centerline.  Perhaps he change is too little to be a concern.

I guess there is no easy way to move the block to the aft end of the collar and on centerline.

Thanks for responding.
Chris

Stu Jackson

Quote from: chrisyse on October 12, 2017, 11:14:01 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>
but my concern is that main sail trim with change depending on what tack one is on, because the block at the mast collar is not on the centerline.  Perhaps he change is too little to be a concern.

Chris,

You are right. This is not an issue.  The mainsheet stretches and is adjusted on a regular basis, not so much for stretch but for trim.  There is literally no way one could sail so that a heading on the other tack will be exactly the same as on the previous tack related to mainsheet trim.  It is just not an issue requiring moving the block.

Good thing you mentioned why you asked.

Always nice to save you some unnecessary work!  :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Chris : Look in the Mainsheet Tech Notes. 
I wrote an article w/picture of the routing of the Garhauer vang control line back to the cockpit. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788