bilge hose and check valves

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

I am going to be buying 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" hose for my bilge this weekend.
Pros and cons for the different types please.
Also, is there a definitive, (as definitive gets on a forum with many obviously very independent people), answer as to whether one should use a check valve or vented loop in the case of a bilge system?
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

NewToTheRoad

I went with the vented loop (under galley sink) this spring.  It has worked well all season.  I will be winterizing soon so I imagine I will just put some antifreeze in the bilge and run it through.  Installation was pretty straight forward (I'm an amatuer).  There is a wiki on it including parts needed but I can't find it.  Here is a post http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9076.msg65895.html#msg65895

So, i vote for the simplicity and safety of a vented loop.  I use a Rule 3700 and the cheap corrugated Trident 1.5" hose from defender.  Smooth is probably better for flow.
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

Noah

My two cents: corrugated smooth bore, no check valve and no vented loop required with our stern discharge location.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Albie

If it's possible to get a high hose loop close by, then that's the best because backflow is minimal (no check valve.)  I don't have
that possibility, so I use a check valve BUT NOT an inline one on the manual pump -- VERY simple and is a Beckson foot valve on the end of my hose.  From Defender, I believe. 

I wouldn't recommend a CV on the electric pump (but admit that I have one and had no problems whatsoever.)

You can't go wrong with Shields MultiFlex bilge hose, which makes bends easily and is smooth bore and relatively inexpensive.

I would think about using 1-1/2 hose for both and reducing where necessary.  Decrease the velocity head loss in hose and pipe whenever you can.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Here are my thoughts:

I'd go for a dripless packing/Gortex, smooth inside bilge pump hose and no check valve !!
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

My 2 cents-

I used 1 1/8 and 1 1/2" Trident 147 hose for my Rule 1500 and 3700 respectively. They are centrifical pumps so sensitive to back pressure. The hoses have a smooth internal bore and smooth external surface. The smooth external surface works better with hose clamps. I removed all check valves from my bilge system and added vented/anti-siphon loops. The loops reduce run back when the pump shuts off. If you install gear pumps no need to worry about run back.

I have a hard to find write up on my entire project in the Tech WIKI for reference if interested. It's under the category "Leaks" then "Bilge" and titled 1987 MK 1 C34 adding a second bilge pump.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on October 11, 2017, 02:54:40 PM

I have a hard to find write up on my entire project in the Tech WIKI for reference if interested. It's under the category "Leaks" then "Bilge" and titled 1987 MK 1 C34 adding a second bilge pump.

That'd be:  http://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3D1987_MK_1_Catalina_34_Adding_A_2nd_Electric_Bilge_Pump
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 11, 2017, 03:24:33 PM

That'd be:  http://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3D1987_MK_1_Catalina_34_Adding_A_2nd_Electric_Bilge_Pump

Thanks again for that detailed contribution, Jon. :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

hard to find

Jon

How about putting it under Plumbing > Bilge ?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

"Bilge" is under the "Leaks" category so put it there. I'd think Bilge would be at the top level like engine, fuel, electrical, galley, head, etc..
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon

Ya. I hear you.

The top level are what they are, decided long ago. So I try to fit within those as best i can do, using the top most level, asking myself, where would someone else look if trying to locate subject "x"?
Since these are really only links saved on a page anyway, I'll just paste the link into two places if it fits equally well.  Just a suggestion.

:-)

K

anon

Jon W. Thank you so very much for such a detailed, awesome document.
Incredibly helpful.
Thanks too for all the other contributions.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

britinusa

Great Write Up!!!

We have a 2nd Manual Bilge Pump installed in the undersink locker in the bathroom, my understanding was that the PO had considered taking the boat on a Bermuda race and needed a second manual bilge pump that was accessible from inside a closed cabin.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

Paul- I'd like to see a pic of that install and and how you pump handle.  Must be pretty croweded under there with shower faucet hoses, fuel filters, etc.?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

It is crowded.
I'll start a new thread when I get some pics - either Friday or Monday.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP