need new sails

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

finally going to race my 1986 c34, hull #99 and i have the original dacron main sail.  the jib was replaced by a new dacron one, probably 8 years ago, before I had the boat.  we have,  relatively locally to detroit:  Doyle, UK, Ulmann, Boston, quantum, and a local small loft.  Does anyone have strong feelings one way or another about brands?

thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

Most conclusions I have read about this issue. in this and other sailing forums, is that the amount of disappointment in new sails is directly proportional to the distance between the boat owner and the sail maker.

I had posted this thought a number of times when the topic comes up.  I found it by doing a search on "new+sails" --- there are quite a number of results.

In addition, the conclusions of buying "big box" sails in many cases has to do with the quality of the local representative.

When I was back in SF two good friends both bought from the same "big box" company.  Pretty much the same sails.  One guy was ecstatic, the other guy very, very unhappy.

No matter who you buy from, there are many considerations you must specify to assure success.  The devil's in the details.  For example:  From my experience, flatter is better for pointing, but, if you're planning on doing any amount of light air sailing, you get into a foot shelf and all the other bells and whistles.  Since we don't know what kind of sail controls you have or plan to install, (cunningham, flattening reef, adjustable outhaul, etc.) it would be premature to get into that level of detail.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rob herron

I just bought new sails for my  2000 MK II (#1491) replacing the originals.

I went with Hyde sails. The service I received was head and shoulders above everyone else and I'm very happy with the final product. Price was very competitive too and I shopped around.

I'm in Western Australia and sail in Geographe Bay where its generally between 8-15kts when I'm out there.  Panacea has gained a full knot of boat speed in 10kts of breeze!

They're dacron and quite flat sails (135% genoa). I'm not racing anyone (unless there's someone close...)
Panacea # 1491
2000 MkII Std rig, wing.

anaisdog

ended up getting ullman sails.

scgunner

When I'm making a big purchase like sails one of my key considerations is how well the factory supports their product. Good factory support can turn a good sail into a great sail and lack of same can make a great sail almost non-functional.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Becki : I had great sails made by Ulmann. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

thanks!  i hope so!  i'm meeting my local sail maker this week to measure my luff(in 32 degree weather!)

Scott Hibbs

Stu's advice is spot on - distance to loft is key.  Replaced original sails with Quantum this season.  Quantum has a local facility.  Surprised by the number of decisions that are needed...but the research and discussions with the loft were an enjoyable part of the journey.  Sail making is not an exact science - count on adjustments being needed.  The local rep even sailed with us to resolve an issue with a "flutter" that developed along the luff in certain conditions.

New sails made a significant difference.  Wish I had replaced the "engine" sooner!
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

britinusa

We're not racers, and our sails were showing their age when we bought the boat.

Did the rounds and went local pretty much for the reasons Stu mentioned.

I did ask them to modify the shape of the main sail. I'm 6' and have bumps on my skull to prove it. So I asked the sailmaker to raise the clew so that it would be 6'2" from the cockpit deck.

We also went with the loose footed option and 3 reefs.

Despite being a local company, they don't make the sails in house! So much for that concept.

But it was a whole lot easier for them to take the new sail back to the loft and correct the sail numbers so that they matched each side  :thumb:

They charged a couple of hundred dollars to install the sails, which included adding fittings to manage the sail pack.

The Doyle (super sail makers) Cradle Cover is nice, but if I had to buy anew, I would go with Mac Sails Stack Pack.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

DaveBMusik

A good relationship with a local sailmaker is huge. Talk to the local racers and see who they use and then see if they are in the ballpark as far as price.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

CG

If you live in the Detroit area, I have had good success with Kent Sail Co. St Clair Shores, MI
Good service, and pricing.

Good Luck

Ted Pounds

Quote from: DaveBMusik on November 14, 2017, 10:01:52 AM
A good relationship with a local sailmaker is huge. Talk to the local racers and see who they use and then see if they are in the ballpark as far as price.

What Dave said.   :thumb: :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447