anybody using synthetic oil

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

While I was picking up my Rotella T for my end of season oil change noticed Shell also had synthetic blend and synthetic oil.  Both claimed to be compatible with regular oil.  I've always used Rotella 15w-40 with Lucas additive.  My reasoning for using the additive is the engine sitting days/weeks/months without running. 
Question to people that know more about modern oil is.  Should I switch to synthetic synthetic/blend?  What would be the advantage or disadvantage?  Is Rotella best synthetic?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Jim, My understanding is that if you used regular oil in your engine, you can not switch to a synthetic.  I have asked at Torresen and also where I have my truck serviced.  I am not an expert.  Will be interested in what the experts have to say.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Jim

Same old story that's been told on here before and can be found in the searches.

YBYC, but I use DINO, no Dino blends are touching this engine block, no additives, CF rated only. Rosella T-1 meets the specifications for our engines. Not only are synthetics a WASTE of boat bucks, Synthetics are NOT recommended for OUR marine engines.  OTR heavy diesel trucks are a completely different animal.  I previously posted the industry findings (or a link to it can't recall which offhand.)

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Some info.
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/3bd504_eec473b8b1144dccb338ca2cd51b9dbc.pdf

Rotella T-1 SAE 30W is pure Dino.  Or of you need a multi viscosity (if you typically run in warm and then colder climates and need additional cold start up protection) Kubota 10W-30 and 15W-40 are pure Dino and basically the same price as Rotella T-1 that I just bought on sale at AutoZone.  Personally I'll probably switch the Kubota multi just because....  Messicks (major right coast Kubota equipment dealer) recommends 15W-40 for our engines.  That makes sense as it's also better for the HOT climates.  (No. I'm not a Kubota dealer or sell Kubota oil, or have stock in Messicks!)

Just don't mess with synthetics -- the bearing journal you save might be your own.  YBYC

Cheers
kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain