Adler Barbour refrigerator replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Same, but my (OEM?) shelves are coated wire.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Mine are just like scg's, plexiglass, same location for the evaporator.  My compressor's in the lazarette.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Sounds like the early 34's came with Plexiglas shelves then sometime down the line they changed to wire shelves, not really sure why I don't see an advantage or disadvantage to either one, I suppose it's just one of those little changes that take place as the boat evolves.
       The head scratcher for me is a dealer delivering a brand new boat with no refrigerator, I just thought they were installed at the factory.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jon W

My evaporator is located on the forward vertical wall, opposite of the photos. The trays I have are coated wire in two different lengths. They fit into the recesses molded into the inboard and outboard walls.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

Jon,

Is your compressor unit located forward of the refrigerator?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

DaveBMusik

My unit is mounted on the forward wall with a large piece of plexi for the bottom shelf and a shorter piece for the top shelf.
This is a new unit installed by the PO but I do not see any holes on the aft wall where a previous install might have been.

Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on October 13, 2017, 08:05:31 AM
      Sounds like the early 34's came with Plexiglas shelves then sometime down the line they changed to wire shelves, not really sure why I don't see an advantage or disadvantage to either one, I suppose it's just one of those little changes that take place as the boat evolves.
       The head scratcher for me is a dealer delivering a brand new boat with no refrigerator, I just thought they were installed at the factory.

That's the S vs SX vs SXT model.

Probably a carryover from the C-30, where initially only an ice box was installed, then refrigeration became an option, then standard equipment on the MK-II, MK-III. On the C-30 features like that, instruments, if not a custom ordered boat, they were just dealer installed to customer's specs. My 84 shelves are plexiglass just like below.

Remember when AC was an option on car??   I remember my dad buying a Plymouth off the lot, which did not have AC, and it was a dealer install.

If someone has the spec/order/option sheet from an MK-I or MK-II it may show that as an option. Those brochures just reference 'ice box' generically.

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Do I remember when AC was an option on a car? I remember when radios and heaters were options on cars.

That was the standard of the day, you started with a basic boat with a lot of options available, as I recall the basic C30 for example came with a tiller handle, the wheel being optional. The C34 on the other hand really ushered in a new era where Catalina began to move up scale to a more well appointed boat, example the wheel steering being standard. That's why I was surprised by a C34 being delivered without refrigeration.

Same question for you Dave, where is you compressor unit located?

Jon W

Yes my compressor is located forward of the refrigerator, and forward of the starboard water tank with a vent open to the salon area. I've attached 2 photos to help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 13, 2017, 08:38:13 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If someone has the spec/order/option sheet from an MK-I or MK-II it may show that as an option. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>

http://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DFile%3A1985pricelist.jpg

Under interiors, Item 78 01, left side
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

KWKloeber

Thanks Stu!!  Mea culpa, I looked under the brochures, didn't think about "evolution". I'll put a link to those under the brochures

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Jon,

I do like the location of your compressor, inside the boat, in a dry compartment. If I hadn't just finished installing my compressor in the original location I might have considered relocating it, but it's in now and it's not moving.

DaveBMusik

Quote from: scgunner on October 13, 2017, 09:25:37 AM
    Do I remember when AC was an option on a car? I remember when radios and heaters were options on cars.

That was the standard of the day, you started with a basic boat with a lot of options available, as I recall the basic C30 for example came with a tiller handle, the wheel being optional. The C34 on the other hand really ushered in a new era where Catalina began to move up scale to a more well appointed boat, example the wheel steering being standard. That's why I was surprised by a C34 being delivered without refrigeration.

Same question for you Dave, where is you compressor unit located?

PO placed the new one in the hanging locker. Not the greatest use of space but well ventilated.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

scgunner

Dave,

Is that the locker across from the galley or the one in the V-berth? It seems there's no correct location(which I had originally assumed)for this unit, it's more whatever creativity will allow.