Adler Barbour refrigerator replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Wow, I can't believe someone(original owner)would spend 60 to 70 thousand bucks for a beautiful new Cat 34 and not pony up a paltry thousand dollars for a fridge.

Jeff, your box sounds just like mine(sans refer), I have a tiered compartment with a single piece bottom shelf, and a two piece top shelf so you can access the bottom shelf, also mine are Plexiglas. The evaporator(freezer box)fits nicely on the rear wall of the box just above the top shelf.

If you're going ahead with refrigeration I would definitely recommend the A/B unit, it looks to me like the boat was designed with the A/B unit in mind. You should look in the aft lazeret to see if you have the compressor mounting platform in place, it's on the portside, forward, if not you can make one. It's just a couple pieces of plywood cut and fit to make a level platform, and some glass and resin of course. Also, you'll need to drill two 1 1/2" holes to run the coolant lines, one in the icebox wall and one in the aft cabin bulkhead low behind the stove. With that you should be able to install the A/B unit. Oh, you'll also have to run power wires from your main panel. I'm curious, the top right switch on my panel is marked "refrigerator" what does yours say?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

scgunner

Stu,

FYI, the beer is noticeably colder than in the old unit!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Has anyone installed a holding plate type vs the evaporator type?  It would seem for boats that are tied to shore power and used primarily day sailing, it would be the preferred type, most efficient, least power drain, etc.?

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Ken,

By holding plate I assume you mean what Adler/Barbour calls their power plate. I actually looked at this and other options before I ordered my replacement unit. I passed on the power plate for a couple of reasons; it's quite a bit more expensive than the VD-150, also the coolant lines are only 12.5' long which means you'll need the extension lines, more $$$. I finally decided that there was an extremely slim, almost remote possibility that Catalina might know more about this than I do, so I stuck with what they originally installed.
      I'm not sure what advantage a day sailor would gain from a power plate. If you don't drop your shore power(or rarely do)what difference does it make how efficient the unit is?
       You know I'm learning way more about this refrigeration stuff than I wanted to, I just wanted a cold beer when I reached into the fridge.

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on October 11, 2017, 08:29:24 AM
   Ken,

By holding plate I assume you mean what Adler/Barbour calls their power plate. I actually looked at this and other options before I ordered my replacement unit. I passed on the power plate for a couple of reasons; it's quite a bit more expensive than the VD-150, also the coolant lines are only 12.5' long which means you'll need the extension lines, more $$$. I finally decided that there was an extremely slim, almost remote possibility that Catalina might know more about this than I do, so I stuck with what they originally installed.
      I'm not sure what advantage a day sailor would gain from a power plate. If you don't drop your shore power(or rarely do)what difference does it make how efficient the unit is?
       You know I'm learning way more about this refrigeration stuff than I wanted to, I just wanted a cold beer when I reached into the fridge.

The holding plate stores up the energy while plugged in and doesn't need to run while sailing.  Virtually no battery drain necessary when sailing.  The plate is like a huge blue ice block that removes heat from the box constantly, versus an evaporator that removes heat ONLY when the compressor is running.   I once worked on a milk route (back in the late 60s).  There are two types of trucks, the evaporator (you see reefer truck that have a compressor above the cab that runs all the time) but mine had a HUGE cold plate.  Plugged in overnight, and the cold box stayed at temp the entire day of the route.

If you are cruising on a hook, on a mooring, etc, then the cold plate doesn't fit the needs.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Not sure what Ken means by "cruising on the hook", but holding plate refrigeration systems are quite popular with long distance crusiong sailors, especially in dedicated freezer boxes.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Versus at a marina every night with shore power?

I don't see a benefit to the holding played in less you have shore power and sondon't need to use your batteries.

Noah

Ken- maybe not on practical on a C34, but there are plently of larger cruising sailboats with generators running holding plate freezers, water-makers, A/C, etc. My understanding is the holding plate systems keep the box colder longer than evaporators.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Ya. Not talking mega yachts.
The HP will definitely keep it colder longer than an evaporator plate. I suppose the comparison would need to know how much energy it takes to freeze the  HP  (say it lasts a day of sailing) versus "continuously" running the EP for the same period of sailing.   My suspicion from what I've read, although not confirmed and it was quite a while ago, is that you need a good overnight of compressor running in order to freeze the plate.  It just seems like a more useful system for my purpose, using shore power energy versus battery energy.  My guess is it would not be efficient unless you were on shore power each evening, because besides the compressor running to keep the box cool overnight, you have to store up enough energy for the next day's use.

K

Noah

These local San Diego guys make a good holding plate product—which cruiser reportedly run off of solar arrays
http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/CoolBlue_Parts_Pricing.html
Standard Rig

scgunner

Wow, talk about learning something new(that's actually old)everyday. I've been on the water for 32 years and this is the first time I've ever heard of a holding plate, hence my confusion with the power plate and the holding plate.
       I did some reading on the subject and found the concept very interesting, this after I'd just installed my new A/B unit. Fortunately I think I made the right choice for me going with an original replacement unit. While I like the idea of reduced power usage it also has a downside, icebox insulation is critical you need 4" minimum, properly sealed openings very important, and it's recommended you keep fridge openings to a minimum(once a day if possible). A stock Cat 34 reefer isn't very well insulated, no where near 4", so if you're going with the holding plate option you're talking about some big time modification.

Noah

Hence maybe just one of the differences between our "coastal cruisers" and a purpose-built, "bluewater cruiser" (with its acompanying costs)?
Standard Rig

Jeff Tancock

Years ago we chartered in the BVIs and the 45' Jenneau had a plate (Frigoboat I believe) and it worked well. We had to run the engine 1 hour a day and it kept the ice boc cold for the full week. Never plugged in once.

Back to my question about the placement of the feezer box in the icebox......I must have a different set up. My box is about 24"X 18" and about 24"deep. The two wire trays span the aft portion of the ice box, one near the bottom before it really tapers in and the other half way to the top. I can't see how to fit it in with the trays there and still be able to work around them. I will go to the boat this weekend with a similar sized box and play around a bit.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

scgunner

Jeff,

Sounds like Stray Cat, like my boat Top Gun #0273 is a Mk I, as far as I know Catalina only offer one layout for that model so our cold boxes would have to be the same. To amend my earlier description of the box, the top shelf is two piece for lower shelf access, but the back top piece is cut out to make room for the evaporator, which makes that back piece roughly "L" shaped.
     I'll be down on Top Gun today and I'll take some measurements and post them this afternoon.

scgunner

Jeff,

Here are some pictures of my refrigerator, evaporator unit(freezer box), and shelves.