Return from North Channel

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

We had returned from our cruise to the North Channel.  Had the opportunity to meet with several of our Catalina member.
Had a great trip.
Cool Change
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

dfloeter

We just returned ourselves having had a short trip to Meldrum, S Benjamin and Long Point Cove. Hope your trip went well. We avoided all the rocks and had some great hikes and hill climbs.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Jim Hardesty

I've started to think about cruising there next season.  If you want to share your adventure, photos, facebook, blogs please PM me.

Congratulations on a great trip.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Hi Jim,  More than happy to share some of my experience and places to visit.  We sailed the North Channel from Drummond Is(Harbor Is) to Thomas Bay and many places in between.  I do not have a blog or Facebook, but would be happy to correspond with you by email.
Just let  me know
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Dave Spencer

We too just returned from our trip to the North Channel. Departed July 2. Returned Sept 3. Travelled from  Collins Inlet in the east to Beardrop Harbour in the west. I was pleased to meet Paul on Cool Change in Killarney near the beginning of our trip. I too would be pleased to share my observations and experiences from the last 12 years with anyone contemplating a trip to the North Channel.  It is definitely worth the journey.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

jfssail

Hi Jim, Martha and I have sailed to the North Channel 8 out of the past 13 years, usually the total trip is 7-8 weeks, starting the last week in June to the first week in July. Always heading home by the middle of August. Your big decisions are when to cross Lakes Erie and Huron.We have gone up the Canadian side to Tobermorey, crossed over to Kincardine from Port Austin, but prefer to go up the Michigan coast to Presque Isle or Cheboygan. With your ILYA membership, you can stay on the wall at Bayview YC, Detroit, and Port Huron YC. We usually stop at Port Sanilac, Port Austib, avoid Harbor Beach, always stay at Harrisville
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

jfssail

Jim,   I might add that if you go to the C36 webb site and under the search box, enter"cruising lake  erie/detroit river/lake st clair"  you will find additional information on going to the North Channel.
One of our favorite stop-overs is Duncan Bay Boat Club at Cheboygan. Heated pool, free bikes to town, and the cleanest facilities in Michigan. From there we go north thru Detour
and anchor at Harbor Island.
The next day is a 5 hour sail to the west end of the NC at Blind River. They also have free bikes for the 2 mile ride to town.
you can e-mail me at jfssail@yahoo.com

Jack Stewart
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

Jim Hardesty

Thanks Jack and Paul.  I'll be taking you up on that.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mas Tequila

Paul had reached out to me after I had posted that we were going to be sailing the North Channel this summer. We talked a few times on the phone and he was very helpful and a really nice guy. We made plans to meet to meet in Frankfort in June as that was going to his first stop on his way to the North Channel. The day we were going to meet we were out sailing and the conditions were perfect for a downwind sail for anyone heading north. As we were heading south back to Frankfort I looked offshore and saw what looked like a Catalina 34 heading north with the sails trimmed to perfection. I asked the admiral for the binoculars and sure enough it was a Catalina 34 and I told the admiral that just has to be Paul. Later Paul sent me a message that he wasn't going to be able to meet us because the conditions were so favorable he was going to continue north. I couldn't blame him one bit for taking advantage of such great conditions.

A couple of weeks later we were also in the North Channel and had arrived at Fox Harbor and noticed a spectacular Catalina 34 at anchor. Now when I say spectacular I really mean it, it is hands down the most beautiful 34 I've ever seen. I couldn't see the name on the boat but told the admiral that I just bet that's Paul. A short time later a dinghy pulled along side of us a I said "you have to be Paul" and he said "and you have to be Kent". We had a wonderful chat and he explained in detail how he had done a number of the upgrades I had noticed on his boat. He invited us over to see his boat but unfortunately we were both to exhausted to take him up on his offer. We hoped to get some rest and try to meet him in the morning before he moved on but overslept, dang it, I guess there is always next year. Paul told us that we should give Croker Island a visit as it was well protected and a beautiful anchorage. After leaving Fox Harbor we sailed to Gore Bay for reprovisioning and then sailed back north to Croker Island. Man oh man was Paul right, what a wonderful anchorage!!!

I was wondering how Paul had come up with the name Cool Change for his boat until the admiral played the song for me, perfect name for a great boat.

Paul, thank you so much for your great advise and we hope to see you in the North Channel next year. Fair winds   

Cool Change   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKwRW0l-Qk
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Paulus

Thanks, Kent.
Enjoyed the video.  Also, I see that you have started to make some improvements on your boat by way of this message board.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944