Groco HF China Bowl Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

One of the 4 bolts securing the bowl failed while on vacation cruising the Chesapeake last week.  Not the bolt, the hole that the bolt head is secured to in porcelain bowl.  The head of the bolts are recessed in to the porcelain and the bolt head pulled through the hole.  As a short-term work around I used a large washer and some rubber non-skid material between the washer & the porcelain.  The PO replaced the entire Groco toilet pump assembly last year just before I purchased the boat and the toilet has performed very well so, I'm considering replacing just the bowl.   Does anyone know if the china bowl itself uses a common mount with other mfg such as Jobsco?  I thought I read someone commenting on one of the forums, can't find it now, that the bowls are common.   Does anyone know if they are or are not?  I ask because it occurred to me it may be cheaper to buy a Jobsco and use the bowl instead of buying a replacement bowl from Groco for nearly $200 + shipping.

The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Stu Jackson

Bill, they should be the same.  Raritan sells their LBA which is just the pump assembly, and you provide your old bowl, so the concept is yes they are the same.  You can check to see on the Raritan PHII site, here:  http://raritaneng.com/raritan-product-line/finished-goods/phii-and-pheii/  May be in the manual.  If not, Google on Raritan LBA manual.

You have another option:  Get a new Raritan head.  I understand the Groco you have is new, but you will find that it is the least expensive and least reliable head out there.  Your PO put it in right before he sold the boat...follow the logic.  If you're gonna spend $$$ for a bowl for a less than ideal pump, why not consider the other options?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Shreeves

Thanks for the info Stu.  The Groco is the least expensive & reliable?  The PO didn't install an entirely new head last year, just the new pump which still works very well.  I believe the rest of toilet is original.

Frankly, I've been batting around my options and basically the two most likely are, replace the bowl now that it appears they're common or go with the Raritan Superflush.  I'm just thinking of going the quickest and least expensive route, instead of the Raritan, right now because of competing priorities.  This season has been a major killer with time and many replacements I've already done in 2017.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Bill

If you want quick and cheap, why not just fix up what is working already?  IIWMT I'd be inclined to try to dress up the bolts (or at least the front two) with something other than exposed hex heads.  Possibly 1/4" carriage bolts or recessed hex drive bolts with a button head, and a white nylon washer under the head.  There are also stainless thin shim washers available that would provide a slightly larger bearing surface than the bolt head but not as large (obtrusive) as a fender washer.

photo?

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave DeAre

I just installed the Raritan Superflush in my MK-11, really works well, amazing difference. Shop around, got mine from Amazon.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago