Stern Handles

Previous topic - Next topic

crimmins

Has anyone installed stern handles by the swim ladder to facilitate boarding the sailboat from a dinghy? My wife has problems going from the dinghy to the swim platform. Handles would be more secure and make for easier movement from the dinghy to the sailboat. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide. Tim Crimmins crimmins39@gmail.com

Noah

MK I or II and what year?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

No Handles on Eximius.

When we bring the dink back to the boat, we lift the ladder out of the water (extension is secured with a line) and lower it into the dink over the front end.

Then the dink occupants can step right onto the ladder and can grab the upper rungs of the ladder then the railings. It makes boarding both the boat and the dink much easier.

We also have a swim ladder folding telescoping extension bolted to the bottom rung of the main ladder. The extension is normally tied in position closed. We just release the extension tie when we want to use it to board from the water.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

bayates

We use the stabilization stanchions from the dinghy as hand rails.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

mark_53

Wrap the inflatable dinghy bow line around the top portion of the fold down ladder and hold dinghy against the stern. Flip the lower portion of the ladder onto the inflatable's bow. Passengers are able to hold onto ladder to board.

tommyt

Tim,

With a swim platform I assume you must have a MKII. MKI ladder ideas would probably work for yoy. Your dink configuration also plays into this. I see no reason not to find a set of nice stainless handles that could make your wife happier and still look nice. Making the Admiral happy is the key.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

mark_53

KWKloeber

Tim,

I installed s/s grab handles on a J/120 companionway for a not-so-agile owner.  I used ones similar to these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Arrival-Stainless-Steel-11-Boat-Polished-Boat-Marine-Grab-Handle-Handrail-/231919841986

I considered the box box grab rails, but being "handicap code" they are 1-1/2" dia, I felt very uncomfortable, and impossible to lock fingers around them. 

I chose to avoid handles with integral hidden bolt studs -- I felt thru bolting a flange was more positive and safe.  I was pleased with the look and quality and she was very happy with the result  :party (tooting my own horn.)

They come in different lengths -- do an eBay search.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mick Laver

Hi Tim
Swim step = Mk II. Ladder in the dink would be quite awkward I think.

Is the dinghy tied sideways, or is your wife trying to board over the bow? We've always found it much easier to tie up sideways, tying the dink's bow and stern lines to either side of the ladder. (Length-adjusted lines with snap hooks can make this a lot quicker.)

If you are already tying sideways you also might try our decidedly low-tech solution: we have a short piece of line with a knot at the end tied to the top rail. It hangs a bit below the lower rail, and it's easy to grab from the dinghy. It's amazing how much stability you get by grabbing something that is firmly attached to the "big" boat, and since it is attached high you can use it to pull yourself up as you step out of the dinghy. It's worth a try!

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Bill Shreeves

We also have a swim ladder folding telescoping extension bolted to the bottom rung of the main ladder. The extension is normally tied in position closed. We just release the extension tie when we want to use it to board from the water.

Paul - I'd really appreciate any information you might have on the extension.  It sounds like something I'v wondered about.

-Bill
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Jim Hardesty

This isn't very shippy but I do use it where I want a temporary hand hold.  It's a suction cup grab bar.  Mine was bought from a boat store.  This is the same or similar
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-Bathroom-and-Household-Safety-Bar/16516635
I've used it for cleaning the waterline and such.  I even remember picking up my hot water tank with it.  You don't have a signature with your boat year and model so don't know if you have a good place to stick it.  May be worth a try before you drill and mount one properly.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

britinusa

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on August 31, 2017, 06:48:52 PM

Paul - I'd really appreciate any information you might have on the extension.  It sounds like something I'v wondered about.

-Bill

Here's what I purchased: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=windline-telescoping-drop-ladder&path=-1|7504|2290202|2290203&id=147446

Here's the best pic I have of the install method.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Bill Shreeves

Thanks Paul!  The pics are a big help too.  Looks like a nice solution to get out of the water if your not double jointed.  I currently attach a  single plastic boarding step that attaches with rope and a clip and hangs down a half-foot or so.  I think its typically attached to the side stanchions to assist boarding from the side of the boat.  Its better than nothing but not a good solution.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

britinusa

The ladder idea was Admiral's, when she saw me try to climb out of the water with just the original ladder, she informed me that I had to do something about that. I knew already, there's no way she could get out using the ladder.

It's a bit of a strain to pull the ladder up when the extension is extended, but not huge. I just lean over the transom to get some leverage and up they swing, not too quickly in order to allow the extension to drain overboard rather than into the cockpit seat area.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ed Shankle

Does the stern pic of a c35 on page 30 of the fall Mainsheet help to visualize a solution?
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA