Leak At Light Fixture Screwhole

Previous topic - Next topic

BradinPCB

I'm switching standard lights to LEDs in my '88 Cat34 and when unscrewing the port side light closest to the Vbearth (under portlight and chainplates), several ounces of water began pouring out.   Its leaked on that side sinceWould you suspect a portlight leak into the body or a chainplate?  Photo attached if it helps.

Stu Jackson

Welcome.

Most likely the port.  If chainplate, wouldn't the water have to run uphill?

Try this:

Leaking Portlights 101 - good links from this forum

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6511.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BradinPCB

I don't know as there is a chainplate on both sides of the light so I think one could be the culprit.

Noah

Carefully fill the outside of the portlight "scoop" and see if it leaks. I would think, if the chainplate is leaking you should see some telltail signs (dark staining) on the bolts and acorn nuts below.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I had some water in that area and it was the opening portlight in the salon closest to the v-berth bulkhead. Both the gasket and sealant were leaking. The water would drip into the teak trim just below the portlight and flow aft to a gap and then collect at the light. Might be worth a hose test for you to check.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Brad : As a "just in case" always spray some silicon on the port lite gasket to keep it nimble so it can seal!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

BradinPCB

Awesome, thanks so much all.  That helps instill a lot of confidence about it for me. 

KWKloeber

Quote from: BradinPCB on August 14, 2017, 05:31:14 PM
I'm switching standard lights to LEDs in my '88 Cat34 and when unscrewing the port side light closest to the Vbearth (under portlight and chainplates), several ounces of water began pouring out.   Its leaked on that side sinceWould you suspect a portlight leak into the body or a chainplate?  Photo attached if it helps.

This just a commonsense guess as I don't know exactly the position/elevation relative to both, but if H2O is leaking out the screw hole as you describe, then it seems H20 would have to be in the core, not just running down the surface on the liner from a leaky window gasket.  So it could be a leak between the window frame and coachroof side, or chainplate leaking to the core.  JTSO, others' mileage may vary.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain