Lewmar hatch clutch

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcZ

One of the friction stays on my trapezoid hatch broke off yesterday. Carnage reviled 2 snapped rivets...

Quick internet searches makes me think it is not uncommon problem.

I have seen following recommendations:   (does anyone have experience with this problem or any comments ?)

Options :
Blind rivets
Solid rivets
Other fastener ?

Material :
Aluminum
Monel
SS

Anti-corrosion compound:
Duralac 

Rivet size
Looks like 5 mm diameter,  not sure about original length ...

Pic from the web showing similar situation
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Ron Hill

Marc : Have you thought about asking Lewmar?  (800)362-7212

A thought

Here is the reason why I "coined the saying" :
Ask the manufacturer and you're getting the answer from the Horses Mouth - take your answer from a Bolg or the Internet and you don't know which end of the horse is speaking!!!   :D
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Marc

Call Select Plastics who rebuilds Lewmar hatches.
(203) 866-3767
Ask for Bill

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

MarcZ

Will report back with results
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

anon

Can somebody please explain how you can determine the hatch model number? I have two on my '87 C34.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

KWKloeber

Albi

If you go to the Lewmar Website and look at the Lewmar Standard Opening Hatche documents, there's a table of dimensions.  The dimensions dictate the Lewmar size,  i.e., Size 40, Size 60, etc.
if you want more specifics, then you have to look at the particular hinge configuration. 
Where are you trying to get to?  Have detailed pix?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

I have found the Lewmar website to be a bit confusing and not too helpful for tracking down "older". I products. May just be me. I would suggest measuring you hatch, post here as well as make a sketch and send to Select Plastics for id info.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Old and the new series are the same dimensions as far as the "Lewmar Size" (40, 60, etc)
Preferable measurement is the inside frame size (ie, remove the trim ring and measure) but can do it with overall also.
90% chance on CTYs it's a low or med profile, not an ocean or high profile or pilot hatch.

If I have a few pix, I can ID 'em with my dealer guides.

k

Ron Hill

Albion :  If you have a 1978 C34 both your V-berth and overhead salon hatches are Bomar, NOT Lewmar.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Albion : If you have an adjusting arm on the V-berth hatch it's a Bomar for sure.
Ron, Apache #788