Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

It's a 7mm Socket.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

I haven't priced out the kit for what it contains, but it's a nice assortment for an emergency.
I can get AWABs and ABAs way cheaper than "marine" in quantity orders, but for for smaller quantities here's another source:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=309_31 
Steve is a good guy.  And he also carries the flex handles.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Mine are 5/16.  Called nut drivers.  I consider them must have boat tools.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Paul's and Ken's 7mm flex wrench got me wonder, if there was a "standard" size for the grooveless clamps. "Most" of my regular clamp are 5/16 and I use a 1/4 socket set with a 5/16 socket and/or a nut driver, whichever is handy and reaches. The the fee grooveless clamps I bought recently were made in Sweden and may have 7mm head, but I didn't need/use a driver as they were within easy screwdriver reach.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah,

7 mm is the standard size.
You can use the metric nut driver, or any handle and a 7 mm metric socket, or a flash drive.

The downside I've found of using a socket,  in tight/unusual spaces where you have the least access, there is a 99.9% chance that it will pop off the extension or socket handle. Then you're fishing to retrieve a loose socket.
The flex drive is obviously handy if you're in kind of an unusual position.
That said it's easy to fabricate your own if you have an extra, or buy a cheap 1/4 inch drive handle, and epoxy on, or superglue on, or any kind of glue on, a 7 mm socket   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

PS

They are "embossed" rather than "perforatef" band clamps. 

Noah

Thx for the info Ken. I might try the flexible driver. My motto, much to my wife's chagrin, is "you can't have too many tools (especially if you don't know what you're doing) ..." just bought this "must have dohicky on the Internet this week! I'lll use it someday
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

YES YES YES! 
I already have that saved in my Amazon cart.  for what reason....?  yah.nevah.know.com

LOL!!

britinusa

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 03, 2017, 08:28:38 AM
I haven't priced out the kit for what it contains, but it's a nice assortment for an emergency.
I can get AWABs and ABAs way cheaper than "marine" in quantity orders, but for for smaller quantities here's another source:

k

Thanks for posting that link Ken.

I know that I have some large hose clamps replacements in my future - Exhaust, Bilge Pumps, Cockpit Scuppers and I only have a couple of the larger sizes left over.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread.  :?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Sure Paul... well, if you have a large quantity that merits shipping them, you know who email first.
ken

Quote from: britinusa on August 04, 2017, 11:30:33 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on August 03, 2017, 08:28:38 AM

k

Thanks for posting that link Ken.

I know that I have some large hose clamps replacements in my future - Exhaust, Bilge Pumps, Cockpit Scuppers and I only have a couple of the larger sizes left over.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread.  :?

Paul

Indian Falls

Getting back to the dripping stantion, no one has mentioned that the weld should be checked on the stantion base.  I rebedded all my stantions and I found that the weld for the wire support to the base which appears to be in a hole punched in the base had a void in it, letting water that pooled on the deck when the scuppers were clogged leak into the core.  Also the weld for tube the hose connects to was also a leaker.  I just re-welded mine with a mig I happen to have but any weld shop can fix that in 5 minutes.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Jon W

Hi Dan, Great tip. I'm rebedding all of my stantions and will look closely at the welds now. No reason to do this twice.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca