Thru hull cleaner rod

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Just thought I would share this in case anyone has any 'Oh, Don't do that's

Our AC outflow eased to a dribble just a week after cleaning out the pipes & AC unit with Barnacle Buster.

The only parts not cleaned were the Inlet Thru Hull & the Outflow Thru Hull, the later is above the water line, but it still carries those little barnacles.

To clean out the Thru Hull, I used an 18" long piece of drain snake, the flexible steel coiled stuff. I just cut the length off of my house drain snake.

It fits really well into the Thru Hull and the sides are sufficiently abrasive to clear it.

To clean out the Thru Hull, I simple remove the hose with the Valve Off, poke the snake down the thru hull till I can feel the Ball of the valve. Then cup my hand around the opening to minimize the water that will come up the Thru Hull and open the Valve, a couple of up and down movements does the trick. Pull the snake out and close the valve. I probably got about a pint or so of water in the boat during the process.

I had used a 4 1/2" Angle grinder (HF) to cut off the piece of snake and made a handle from some heavy duty tape. I may make a Rubber piece to reduce the water flow, but it's hardly worth it.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Brad Young

I use a 3/8 or 1/4 in wooded dowl.  In fact last week I pick up some kelp or plastic in my engine input. I was able to remove the hose going to the thru hull then used this dowl to clean the thru hull.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

mark_53

If your through hull is clogged, your not going to let much water in when you open the valve. I keep a piece of 14ga romex on board to unclog.

KWKloeber

I haven't tried this, but thinking about it it seems like it would be a better method.

How about....  When you pull the hose you're  left with a smaller diameter hose barb on a seacock,   So, you can't ream/clean the full diameter of the seacock/thru hull.    If instead of removing the hose as some have said, you simply unscrew the hose barb, then you can use a rod that is near the full ID of the seacock/ball valve/thru hull. Many times I find it easier, due to the sharp tangs on a hose barb, to simply break free a hose so that it will rotate freely on the hose barb, than actually pulling it (and potentially damaging the end of the hose.) Simply remove the clamp, break free the hose,  and unscrew the hose barb with the hose intact, and voilĂ  you have a larger diameter hole to run a rod or stiff hose through.    Seems that would work?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Indian Falls

I wouldn't bother removing the hose barb. Barnacles stick out enough you'll knock the out with merely a coat hanger.  However I now have a piece of 1/4 plastic tube and a 30'' length of hose for unclogging my engine intake.  Pull the engine hose, slip on the 30'' water hose no clamp needed, open the ball valve, shove the plastic hose down the whole works, done.  I got clogged at sea and I had nothing on board for this.  I didn't want to go over the side.  I used my shower to unclog the intake: unscrew shower/faucet head from hose, withdraw hose from sink fixture, remove hose from water pump on the engine. shove faucet shower hose into engine intake hose. Turn on the water.  The pressure began to increase then there was whoosh sound.  This won't remove barnacles of course but anything else will have a hard time staying in there.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?