M25 XP photo forensics

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Don't be discouraged. While I am not a "mechanic", IMO nothing looks so worrisome on the engine that would preclude you from taking the boat out while you get to know it and proceed to do maintenance/mods to get all issues squared away. In the meantime, I would invest in some towing insurance for peace of mind. TowBoat US offers unlimited towing for $149 per year and covers your area.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anon

"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Ron Hill

ABI : Looking at that harness connector again I would challenge your statement "all the critical upgrades were done including the harness". 
It looks to me like a new connector on the engine side, but the old gummy connector on the wire bundle side going back to the engine instrument panel - best check that out to be sure!!!

A thought   :?
Ron, Apache #788

anon

@Ron: I wrote: "It seems that I was lied to by the PO, somebody I know! He said that all the critical upgrades were done including the harness and that the engine had been serviced and inspected by the local (supposedly reputable) diesel experts at the harbor".

"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 08, 2017, 02:14:38 PM

It looks to me like a new connector on the engine side, but the old gummy connector on the wire bundle side

Ron, JFFR in case you see one again.  They are both OE plugs.

The black is a Universal rubber plug (alternate to the Universal white plug) as I showed here:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9562.msg72117.html#msg72117

Some Universal plug halves were a harder white, some were black rubber.
CTY/Seaward/Bristol plug halves were always gummy bear amber.   
The nearest that I've found is to qnaw on a cherry and an orange at the same time, and come up with an amber. 

PLUS EQUALS
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Albi,

Yeah you got what I call a "buddy job."   :shock: :shock:

It happens, but the good news is that, from the photos, there doesn't seem to be anything that's a show stopper.  I've seen a LOT worse.

(for now) Check your hoses -- an hour job.  Replace when you pull her.
(for now) Check Hx for gunk.  A pinhole leak and you can still limp home.
Your riser can start leaking and you can still limp home.
Change oil and a new filter/ change tranny fluid.  Just in case those are also buddy jobs.
Change fuel filter?  Yah, but it hasn't screwed up your injectors yet, so the primary has defo been doing its job.
(for now) do one of the quick harness fixes. Tackle the big job when you pull her.
  a- eliminate fire hazard  <$20
  b- get into better condition <$30
  c- into best condition w/o replacing it <$40

You're not talking a lot of time to check her out and get the most important into shape (presuming you don't uncover some sleeping giant.).

Then go sailing.

Best way to find reputable help is by recommendation.  Befriend Catalina owners at the marina.  Ask.  Explain.  Listen.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anon

That's great Ken. Thank you so very much.
Hx?
Love the gummy bear analogy.  :D
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

KWKloeber

anon

Duh! I never claimed to be bright  :D
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Stu Jackson

You are to bright!  You bought a C34, didn't ya?  :clap

When you replace the hoses, look carefully at that hose from below the freshwater coolant pump to the elbow under the alternator.   It goes from 1" to 7/8".  You can pay Universal big bucks for it, or you can go to an auto parts store and buy a Toyota hose for $11.  Do a search on Toyota here to find the part #.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on August 09, 2017, 01:03:44 PM

It goes from 1" to 7/8".  You can pay Universal big bucks for it, or you can go to an auto parts store and buy a Toyota hose for $11.  Do a search on Toyota here to find the part #.

There's a second way to skin that cat if the Toyota hose ever goes "no longer available." Or you just hate spending $11 for a short, non-marine hose.  That is to replace the Westerbeke pipe elbow with your own elbow.

3/4" copper tubing is 7/8" OD, and the female end of a copper tubing sweat fitting is 1" OD.

So for instance:

A 90-degree 3/4" street elbow is 1" OD on the female "hub" end, and 7/8" OD on the male "socket" end, or
A regular 3/4" elbow is 1" on the hub end, and 7/8" on the other end when you sweat in a stub of tubing.  You can extend the length of the 1" end by sweating a coupling (which is 1" OD) to the elbow.

So, if you construct (using whatever combination of fittings you choose) your own (reducing) pipe elbow, you can replace the 1" x 7/8" specialty hose with a short length of "normal" hose.

Example below on a pre-alternator-bracket-upgrade engine.

ken

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

bayates

Look for a local marine repair with Catalina experience and references. I have 2 really good ones in San Diego. They have worked on my C30 and C34.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA