Aft water tank leak REPAIRED

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Brener

I had a leak in the aft water tank at a corner where the tank is cut out.  I tried different things to seal it, epoxy stick, etc but nothing would stick to the polyethylene  tank.  I looked at all the past posts which were helpful in what to expect when removing that tank but no good method of repair.  After removing the engine control cables at the engine there was enough slack in the other cables to remove the tank through the aft cabin and enough clearance to pick up the tank and clear the fitting on the bottom which attaches to the water hose. The only sure way to repair the tank is with hot air plastic welding.  After a number of false starts, I called a plastic fabricator who had the equipment and could do the job. In Annapolis I used Annapolis Maritime Plastics.  The cost $120.00 which was their minimum. 

I called Catalina Direct to get the cost of a new tank and they quoted a 24 gallon tank for $389.93  plus $134.00 shipping and insisted that this was the correct aft tank even after I said it was not.   I requested a drawing and it was not correct. I sent them a picture of our 42 gallon tank and they said they would correct their records. When using Catalina Direct, trust but verify.

I replaced the water hose that lived in the bilge for 30 years and remembered to attach a messenger line to pull it under the cabin floor.  The tank was reinstalled and all is well.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

britinusa

Can you share pics/drawings of your tank for comparison.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Guys : I've talked to other C34 owners that have also pulled their aft water tank thru the aft cabin. 

One stated that he had to cut a small notch in the aft cabin fiberglass to get the bottom of the aft tank hose connection over the lip for the aft cabin panel.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Here's mine. Don't know if factory or PO notch. Just tilt tank up and out to clear fitting.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Brener

If it works, here is a picture of the aft water tank for a 1987 C -34 #504
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

scgunner

Jim,
      My aft tank had a leak in the lower front corner on that top recess. It would leak about 8 to 10 gallons until the water level got down to the crack in the tank. As a consequence it would fill up the tank tray and when under sail on a heel the water from the tray would leak into the aft cabin and soak the cushions.
       To solve the problem I just took a torch and a broad blade screwdriver and melted the crack closed(seems to be holding). Also in case it springs another leak I drilled holes in the back corners of the tank tray so the water will drain to the bilge instead of the aft cabin.

Noah,
        Top Gun #273 has the same notch in the lower bulkhead as your boat, I'd say that's how they came from the factory.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273