Rebedding chainplates - link

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Finally got around to puling the leaking port aft chainplate.
The plates were 'sealed' using a bucket of silicone caulking, spread around the two bolts and washers and around the plate over the chainplate tab that sticks out of the deck. Over time, the silicone has shrunk and we noticed a leak in the cabin.

Ran a temp line and released the turnbuckle (after soaking it in a paper towel with PB Blaster for a couple of weeks). Removed the chainplate, cleaned it up, just a little surface corrosion that I have treated. So, cleaned up plates look good and I plan to reinstall it tomorrow.

Reading the search results for rebedding chainplates, I keep seeing references to only apply bedding at the top side of the deck, not the underside so that any leaks are noticed in the cabin.

The ply side holes in the deck have been sealed by a PO and they still look in great shape.

The rectangular plate that goes over the chainplate tab that sticks out of the deck has about a 3/32" gap between it and the tab all the way around.

Yes, I have read Mainesail's bedding article, excellent! But I don't see how to seal the tab through the deck hole when the gap between the tab and the plate is so large.

I could not find a link to a tech article specifically covering this issue. Would appreciate a good link  :D

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on July 09, 2017, 02:29:44 PM>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yes, I have read Mainesail's bedding article, excellent! But I don't see how to seal the tab through the deck hole when the gap between the tab and the plate is so large.

I could not find a link to a tech article specifically covering this issue. Would appreciate a good link  :D

Paul

When in doubt, 101 Topics:

Chainplate Rebedding 101 - with Bed It with Butyl from Maine Sail

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7265.msg49430.html#msg49430
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Thanks Stu! that link was perfect!

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Thanks to Stu et. al. I have rebedded 3 of the 6 chain plates: Port Aft, Stbd Aft, & Stbd Forward.

Although I read the info in this > link http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-chain-plate-rebedding.html. It shows the application of bedding compound on the upper surface of the chain plate (ie. between the underside of the deck and the top of the chain plate in the cabin) - I did not use that method, instead, I just applied Butyl around the gap between the chain plate tab and the deck. As others have mentioned, if there is a leak, we'll know about it and I would rather learn early than have to spring for $150 for a each new plate!!

In order to remove the lower shroud chain plates, I eased the shroud turnbuckles by 8 half turns and then removed the Clevis Pin, then eased the Rod End Nut by 2 turns which gave enough slack in the Rod Assembly to unscrew them from the Chain plate, although there was surface corrosion in a couple of them which required using PB Blaster and a Pipe Wrench to release the Rods.

I should finish the Port Foward this week and then will be ready to work on the Center Chain Plates - the Upper Shrouds!!

When working on the lower shrouds, I simply ran a spare halyard around the end of the spreader and down to a point near the toe rail away from the lower shroud. However, I'm a little leary of using that method alone for the upper shrouds.

My thought is to ease the Upper Shroud Turnbuckles 8 turns on each side (port & stbd) or more if needed but the same each side. Then release the Turnbuckles on both sides. That will leave the mast supported by Fore & Aft Stays, and 4 Lower shrouds - The 2 upper shrouds will just hang loose (ok, tied off to stop them rubbing against the cabin top/sides)

Does that shout any major issues for 24 hours while I bring those two last chain plates home for clean up?

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Paul from my experience (C-30, I think we are like real people, just smaller) you over-killed it on the lowers.
She'll stand no problem with the uppers and back/fore stays. 

She'll also stand no problem with just the lowers.

If I am loosening the backstay or forestay for a "length of time, I'll run a halyard fore and/or aft.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on July 19, 2017, 09:45:46 AM
Although I read the info in this > link http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-chain-plate-rebedding.html. It shows the application of bedding compound on the upper surface of the chain plate (ie. between the underside of the deck and the top of the chain plate in the cabin) - I did not use that method, instead, I just applied Butyl around the gap between the chain plate tab and the deck. As others have mentioned, if there is a leak, we'll know about it and I would rather learn early than have to spring for $150 for a each new plate!!

Paul, Most people can't find that old Projects page, and it remains static.  When that post got moved into the wiki I wrote a BIG disclaimer at the top of it saying just what you did.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."