Lewmar 46 winch parts?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Today's project was first time lubing my winches. All went well, but they really needed it with lots of the P.O.'s old grease turned to hard wax-like consistency. However, in only one of my winches (pictured) the plastic parts have oxidized to a gray pitted surface. After this photo, I treated with 3O3 protectant and it darkened up, but I would like to replace these parts, eventually. Anyone have a source they recommend?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on July 16, 2017, 05:48:04 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>However, in only one of my winches (pictured) the plastic parts have oxidized to a gray pitted surface. >>>>>

Noah, are you talking about the top?  Only?  I agree treating it with something is a pretty good approach.  I don't think you'll harm it.  I've used a variety of things since I got too lazy to keep covering mine.  I think the last time I used a rag soaked in 3:1 oil! :shock:  They're still pretty dark.  I'd keep treating them to see what happens.  By the time you find a source, you might find out you don't need to buy anything.  :clap :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Yes Stu, just the top. My port side is darker. You know me, If I can get it to shine I will.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah,

Penetrol might also be good to use, and a thin coat of Colinite insulator wax wouldn't hurt.

The "top cap" may be available, I'll check tomorrow.  Very very slim chance, though. 
I jus tried to get a top cap, stripper, and upper crown for a Lewmar 42, and there were none on the face of this planet.  The only one who would have it, if anyone, is my parts distributor.

Stu,  You need to look for a source for parts?  tsk tsk tsk  :x

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on July 16, 2017, 06:24:55 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stu,  You need to look for a source for parts?  tsk tsk tsk  :x

Ken, the way I find parts is to look behind me at all the broken bits.  :D  Next "go-to" for lubricants and polishers is my port locker, aka toxic waste dump. I actually moved to Canada to keep one step ahead of the EPA.   

Noah, I'm sure that if I'd kept track of everything I'd put on those tops I would have come up with a patented "Miracle Lewmar Winch Top Keep-It-Looking-Brand-New Mystery Oil."  Ah, the mists of time...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark Sutherland

Noah, I looked everywhere, for months, for replacement crowns for my 1986 winches, and found nothing.  I ended up buying new winches from Minnie's for half price.  You could call them and ask if they've salvaged any of the parts you need.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Jon W

Hi Noah,
    I have this on my list as well. Did you use Lewmar winch maintenance pack 19701500? Will it also work for the size 30's on the cabin top? Did you use the Lewmar Two-Speed Winch Spares Kit also? Thanks.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon- I haven't torn into the cabin top ones yet, but I will this weekend. I bought the two-speed kit from West for $59, which left me with lots of extra parts that I probably will never use. If you can spare the time, I would tear them down and see what you need, then get the parts. All my 46s needed was LOTS of cleaning, and new grease (BTW only use oil on springs & pawls). I changed the pawls and springs while I was in there. The gears, spindle, bushings and bearings were all fine.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

They use the same size springs and pawls.

Until you get to the 50, which has a larger pawl and spring sets. 

Most owners use WAY too much grease. A light but complete brushed-on coat is the correct amount on gears and bearings.  "Less is more".

Only light oil on the pawl pivot points/springs.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Dave Spencer

Quote from: KWKloeber on July 17, 2017, 05:20:29 PM

Until you get to the 50, which has a larger pawl and spring sets.  Most owners use WAY too much grease. A light but complete brushed on coat is the correct amount.  "Less is mire".

Love the "less is mire" :D
Ken, I'm sure you meant to amplify that less grease is more on the bearings but I'd like to emphasize that light oil is the right lubricant to use on the pawl and springs - never grease. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

SO NOTED, and my is post corrected. 
Thank you for your forest/trees observation!!!
kk

Quote from: Dave Spencer on July 17, 2017, 08:10:37 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on July 17, 2017, 05:20:29 PM

Until you get to the 50, which has a larger pawl and spring sets.  Most owners use WAY too much grease. A light but complete brushed on coat is the correct amount.  "Less is mire".

Love the "less is mire" :D
Ken, I'm sure you meant to amplify that less grease is more on the bearings but I'd like to emphasize that light oil is the right lubricant to use on the pawl and springs - never grease.

KWKloeber

Noah,

If you need new top caps for your Lumar, let me know I located four or five that are like the last ones on this planet. Just let me know whether Your screws are Phillips or hex drive to make sure it's the correct  flavor.

ken

Noah

Yes. Ken! I sent you an email.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah

Did you get my label to send a winch cap to the fabricator? 
I hope to get a reasonable quote from him in the event that any other members need to replace their caps.

Ken

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 06, 2017, 03:09:17 PM
Did you get my label to send a winch cap to the fabricator? 
I hope to get a reasonable quote from him in the event that any other members need to replace their caps.

just throwing my hat in the ring for new caps...  mine are pretty rough...
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp