National Sail Supply

Previous topic - Next topic

sailscituate

Anyone have experience with/opinion of National Sail Supply? I know they manufacture out of the country, but they are almost $1,000 cheaper for a new mainsail w/lazy bag set up.
Thanks in advance for any info.

NewToTheRoad

Search for National on this site and you will find a number of posts and discussions.

I purchased a main and genoa from them last winter and was more than satisfied with fit, quality, and price. 

They delivered 1.5 months past the projected date but it was off season so no biggie.  I did check the lead time prior to ordering and he claimed to be on schedule.  So be careful if you are in a rush but I would not hesitate to use them again.
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

sailscituate

Thanks for the reply. The fit and quality were my big concerns. Was originally going to go with a local loft because of those concerns, but given that there's a special section on the site specifically for Catalina, I figured they have the size down pat. Quick question for you — your boat looks very similar to min — especially the Universal XP. Are you running a 2-blade prop? I am, but got recommendations for a three-blade 15/10 to get a bit more push.

NewToTheRoad

I have been very impressed by my new sails and probably saved 1500+ over the local lofts.  I didn't need to send a measurement.  Easy peasy.  I'm not a racer or bluewater sailor so no need for perfection.  But they seem perfect to me.

I run a 3 blade prop but couldn't tell you anything about size or pitch.  It's what she came with.  At 2200 rpm I can do about 5.5 knts and burn .5 gph.
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

Patches

Probably stating the obvious, but National Sail Supply sells sails made by the Rolly Tasker loft in Thailand.  I have ordered a main sail from them--about 10 years ago for a different boat--and was quite happy with the quality. 

I recently went through the process of replacing a furling headsail and went through my local loft.  With my knowledge, and their recommendation, they outsourced it to the Durtek loft (Quantum owned) in Sri Lanka.  I purchased a tri-radial cut genoa using Marblehead cloth and a silver Sunbrella UV cover for a very good price.  My local sailmaker measured for, and inspected it, and helped bend it on when it arrived.  Very, very happy with the purchase.  This was after I received a quote from National which did not offer a tri-radial option, but gave me a quote for a cross-cut furling genoa.  I also got quotes from other lofts including Precision, another local loft, and considered the Catalina Direct (Ullman) sails.  I seriously considered going with National Sail again.  Dirk has always been extremely responsive to any inquiries.

National will inspect the sail before shipping it on to you.  But any follow-up is via email and (potentially) remote repairs/alterations.  In my case I can always go to the local sailmaker I trust for any issues related to the sail.  Something to think about.

The only thing I didn't like about the mainsail that I purchased from National (loose footed, 2 partial, 2 full battens) was the clew attachment.  They utilized a velcro strap which I found would bind when adjusting the outhaul.  I prefer a slug to ride in the boom slot.

Hope this helps.

Patches

ChrisOB

I have a couple thousand cruising miles on my National Sails (Rolly) From Dirk.  Very happy with them.  Dutchman is great and I feel the fit and finish is extremely good for the price.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247