Synthetic Teak Decking

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

Nothing beats the look of beautifully maintained natural teak decking.  We have also really liked the looks and feel of the synthetic teak finding it's way onto many new boats. 

We decided we liked it enough to have our C34 done.  The cockpit is pieces are done and being installed next week.  See pic.

They will  template decks for install later in the season so we don't lose any time from our already short season.  I will send pics after install next week.

Cheers,
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

kwaltersmi

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the pics after installation.  What brand did you go with? 
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Mas Tequila

We also would like to know what brand you went with. We have been entertaining installing something like this as well. One area that we thought we would like to install something like this is on top of the coaming because over the years the PO had installed and removed a number of mounts and fixures, the repairs are watertight but not very attractive.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

mregan

Do you have any pictures of the finished product?  Might be looking to do something similar in my cockpit.

Ted Pounds

Quote from: kwaltersmi on July 11, 2017, 07:01:30 AM
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the pics after installation.  What brand did you go with?

I used PlasDeck on my Gloucester 19 and am very pleased withe the results.  I also replaced the teak handrails with PlasTeak and added PlasTeak toerails.  I found it improved traction a lot.  However it also gets a lot hotter in the sun.

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Noah

A few years ago Practical Sailor did a comparison of synthetic teak decks and, them being hotter to touch was an issue, as I recall...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Kevin Henderson

Has anyone with a C34 ever replaced handrails with Plas Teak?  I'm curious.  Although I love the original teak it sometimes gets to be a pain keeping it looking fresh all the time. 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Noah

I have sunbella covers on my varnished teak handrails which helps a lot for longevity.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mregan

I do the same with the covers.  Rails still look pretty new after 4 years.

Bobg

simple covering when you are away from the boat is those swim noodles, just slice the bottom and put them on, take them off when going sailing,  last fall I installed those pipe insulators, put them on and zip tied them, when I took them off this spring the grabrails looked as good as when I put them on in the fall
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on July 26, 2017, 09:08:35 AM
Has anyone with a C34 ever replaced handrails with Plas Teak?  I'm curious.  Although I love the original teak it sometimes gets to be a pain keeping it looking fresh all the time.

Kevin that's on my down-the-road list.  Sick and tired of maintaining exterior teak, or needing to cover brightwork so you can't see it -- like carpeting hardwood floors.  When I looked into it, I think rails were about $1/inch length of rail.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anon

I am in the process of re-finishing teak on my boat. I am leaning toward cetol but I know others like oil. Still undecided. Pros and cons? I think I will get sunbrella covers for rails whatever happens.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

mregan

I went with the Cetol.  The 2 part version, I think it was 6 coats of Cetol Natural Teak, then 6 coats of the Gloss.  Or whatever they recommended in the instructions. Looks great, still looks pretty new after 4 years and haven't done anything to it.  May put another coat on this season just to get the high gloss back, getting a little dull after 4 seasons.

cmainprize

Finally got some pics.  Love the decking.  Softer on feet, very grippy, and we really like the look.  We are having the cockpit combings done soon and I would like to do the side decks if I can justify the cost. 

Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA