Bad color for my motor

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Last week I received my order from Westerbeke and a can of silver blue paint for my motor(m35bc  1997) and it's not the good color. My motor is more green than the silver blue. Is there somebody knows the reel color for this motor and where we can buy it. Catalina direct have said me that the silver blue is suppose to be the good one. Thank you. Excuse my fault I'm learning my English.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Dave Spencer

Andre,
Your english is fine... certainly better than my french.
I'm surprised that the Universal paint isn't a match for your engine.  It is very expensive if I recall correctly.  I was seeking an alternate for the expensive Universal paint and found something that is close but I haven't tested it yet.  The can is up at the boat so I don't have the exact details but I recall it was VHT high temperature engine paint in Titanium Silver from Canadian Tire.  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vht-high-temperature-engine-metallic-paint-312g-0473714p.html#srp A search at Canadian Tire or other automotive supply store might get you close to what you need.  Here's a link to my recent post about engine paint.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9440.msg70506.html#msg70506

Bonne chance mon ami.  Let us know how you make out.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

andre

Thank you I will check with a piece of my motor to an autopart or elsewhere and yes the can from westerbeke was very expensive 60.00 and no good color.

KWKloeber

Andre,

Is your boat a re-power? Is there any chance that it was not a "universal" engine but was another Kabota that was turned into a marine engine? That  sometimes happens. Call Westerbeke with your engine serial number  and inquire?

Otherwise as this came up before, I would just go to an auto store that has a good selection of duplicator paint and pick the closest one.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

andre

No I think that my motor is really a universal I saw the name on the port side where is the serial number of the motor.

KWKloeber

Andre,

then I would work through your Wb dealer to find out what's going on using your serial number.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

andre

Ok if I understand well you said me to call my westerbeke dealer with my serial number and ask if there is a color for it.

Ron Hill

Andre : My advice to you is to go to an Auto parts store and look at their auto touch-up paint in small spray cans.  Then see if you can't match your engine paint.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Andre
If
You verified you have a Universal and you bought the paint from Westerbeke I bet they did send the right color. I believe the engine color changes over time due to the heat. Your engine color has either faded (or darkened) over time and is not the same as the initial color.  So now you notice a fresh paint is not a match. If you touch it up, given some time, the new paint color will change like the old.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

andre

Ok thank you I will wait maybe it will change with the time but the new color is really more blue than my motor.

KWKloeber

Andre

A Picture showing old/new side by side?