Fuel issues???

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 02, 2017, 04:05:39 PM
Guys and Ken : I wrote this up in the Mainsheet tech notes (15-20) years ago.  Read what has already been written !!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi, Ron.  You know that I have read EVERYTHING you have ever written.  Most of them twice or thrice!   :D :D :D

As Noah said, I was just doing this test to support some discussions going on in this thread.

There are many things that many others of us have written over the years.  And many times the subjects come back up again for newcomers or others who just haven't had the time to read through almost 30 years of great material. 

I try to either repeat what I've written or send folks links to earlier discussions to avoid retyping the same stuff.  For example, that's why I started the "101 Topics" and why we both "jumped on" Walt's idea for the Critical Upgrades topic which has been a Greatest Hits thread that is very helpful to all C34 owners.

Some times things are worth repeating.  In this case, it was fun, and Ken made me go out sailing again!  Like I need an excuse, right?   :shock: :shock: :shock: :clap :clap :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

With you on that Noah.
Also, given the lack of accuracy with the fuel gauge and the shape of the fuel tank, how best to interpret "half a tank"? We've got evidence for both situations, so seems to me best thing is to prepare for the worst case. YBYC
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Ed : Always use engine hours to determine fuel!!!  (even if you have a working? gage because you have an asymmetrical tank!!)
I'll guess that if your gage reads 1/2 you really are down to about 1/3 tank full

Use .5 gal/hr for an M25XP and you'll always be in good shape

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

I do that as well, but the break point is still somewhat arbitrary, i.e. is it dead even at half or slightly above or slightly below? I know I may be splitting hairs, but I'm not going to do a "Seinfeld" to find out  :D
P.S. for those who don't get the Seinfeld reference, it's a hilarious segment where his neighbor Cramer takes a test drive with a car salesman and they push to see how far they can go after the needle shows empty!
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

The good news is, a full tank last a long time.
The bad news is a low tank gets empty real quick.

The reference to half full, is of course level (lift pump draw) do we have a drawing of the tank dimensions? Even if Rough.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Ken : if you go in WiKi you can look at all the tanks in a C34 and those diagrams have ALL of the dimensions!!!

Look and you will find!
Ron, Apache #788