Fuel issues???

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Interestingly enough, I had a new recent experience with it. Loose wire from the pump. Engine stopped and I knew what it was due to, as I've had it happen before. Snugged up a screw and all was well. My fuel gauge showed over half, but not quite 3/4ths. My lift pump is high on the wall under the head sink. My Racor is below it.
Happy testing,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Noah

Was it that stupid ground wire that just gets "squished" under case/mounting bracket?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Example of one way to solve poor ground problems such as on temp senders, hi temp switches, low oil pressure switches, oil pressure senders.  My latest "kit" supplied with harness refurbs.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

"Grounds" for celebration, Ken! :clap
Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

Noah - yup, that's the one!
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 27, 2017, 08:04:59 PM
I just filled up my fuel tank.  I also installed a fuel pump shutoff switch in my engine compartment, although I could just as well shut off the main 1-2-B switch once the engine was running.

Give me a day or two and I'll do the test.

Then we just need someone who has less than a full tank to do the same.

TEST PERFORMED TODAY

Full tank

Shut off fuel pump

Ran at 2800 rpm for 22 minutes

No interruption in power

No hiccups

Re-engaged fuel pump

Shut engine down, sailed for an hour, started engine no problems, sailed some more, engine restarted.

Conclusion:  with full tank engine runs without fuel pump.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Did you START then shut off pump? 
Or
Shut off pump, then start?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 29, 2017, 08:36:45 PM
Did you START then shut off pump? 
Or
Shut off pump, then start?

k

I shut pump off after the first start, was motoring out of the slip, engine was runnng when I shut the pump off.

Wanna "make me" :D try something different tomorrow?

OK, OK, I know what you're gonna say. 

I will go out tomorrow, motor out of the slip.

Shut the engine down, then shut off the fuel pump, then start the engine.  Is that what you are hinting at?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

No need to motor at all.  Just shut off pump and try to start it "cold".

I'm wondering if after sitting, it will start w/o the pump?  dunno?  :donno:

Alternately, with a new fresh tank, not started for a long time (while on the hard ) or say, after starting after a filter change, will the fuel flow w/o the lift pump?

Motoring first and then starting w/o pump or running after pump shut off, is kinda like motoring and then starting w/ no glow plug.  Might not be a fair pump/no pump comparison --- Might be like concluding "I don't need glow plugs".

k

Stu Jackson

Ken MADE ME go sailing again.  Darn that demanding task-master!!! :shock:

TEST #2 PERFORMED TODAY

Full tank

Shut off fuel pump BEFORE STARTING ENGINE which was COLD from sitting all night

Engaged glow plugs, fuel pump OFF, engine started.

Ran out of the slip and at from 2000 to 2800 rpm for about 20 minutes

Shut down engine, went sailing for two and a half hours - lovely 12-16 knots true, tacking upwind for that time, so to be sure that kk would be assured that the fuel sloshed around!!!  :clap

Started engine to come back into slip, pump still off

No hiccups

Which remind me that I have to re-engage the fuel pump before my tank gets half full  :D

Conclusion #2:  with full tank engine runs without fuel pump.

I'd be glad to run around with my engine at full throttle for another 20 hours to get the tank to about half full and do another test, but with the cost of fuel up here, unless Ken wants to pay for it ($!.23 CDN per LITRE!!!), ya'll will just have to wait.   :thumb:

KWKloeber

I'll go halfzies with someone  :rolling

Great test Stu.

Have a great 4th. :party :party :party

Ron Hill

Guys and Ken : I wrote this up in the Mainsheet tech notes (15-20) years ago.  Read what has already been written !!

On a C34 (because of where the HIGH fuel tank is located) you can run the engine without an electric (lift)  pump as long as the tank is at least 1/2 full of fuel.  If fact I ran the engine all the way down the ICW to Fl. and back (over 8 months) with the electric fuel pump knowingly wired into the blower switch.
Gravity feed -- Had NO problems

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Thx Ron. Good to test old theories every 20 yrs or so :abd: Sometmed those good old write-ups are hard to locate...
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : NOT a theory, just look at where the fuel tank is located and then look at where the engine is located!!
Gravity works!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Gee Ron. Not questioning gravity or you. I just threw out the comment a few days ago that "I heard it was possible to run on gravity feed but hadn't tried it". Some other folks said it didn't work for them. Then Stu tested. We're all just sharing here....
Also, perhaps some, of us who are mechanically challenged (includes me) wonder how the fuel passes through the Facet pump with it turned off, or not working?
Standard Rig