Blocked Deck Scuppers

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

We keep Eximius at a Dock in a residential area, there are trees on the property and they drop lots of 'Stuff' such as seeds, flowers and bits of hair like bark (they're varieties of palm trees) and this flotsam clogs the deck scupper, so we end up with dirty water laying on either side of the scuppers. After a heavy rain (and this is South Florida) it's even worse.

Even though we visit the boat several times a week, it only takes a day for grot to build up and we have to rinse / scrub the area near the scuppers.

Our boat is not the cleanest of boats top sides, we know it needs work, but the scuppers getting blocked every week is a pain. Yes we get the black marks on the sides below them.

I was thinking of expanding the scuppers, they look to be about 3/8" right now and wondered if it would be reasonable to drill them out and line the insides with GFP to water proof the toe rail.

There are several articles on putting tubes into the scuppers to move the pour point further from the boat, but our problem is water not being able to drain when the block.

Ideas?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Dave Spencer

Paul,
I had the same question although my scupper clogging issue doesn't sound as bad as yours.  See attached link. I was warned off expanding the holes.  The idea to add clear plastic tube doesn't help with the fact that the deck scupper holes are too small.  I've lived with it.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7327.msg49901.html#msg49901
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ken Krawford

I drilled mine out many years ago and it worked out great.  I used epoxy to seal the newly cut areas of the toe rail.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

britinusa

Ken, do you have any pics?

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Paul, IIRC Ken just made a bigger hole.  Have you considered putting some kind of screening over them? Kinda like over a downspout at the end of your roof gutters on your house?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Stu, yes, I wondered how I might do that.
Haven't come up with a method or material yet.

The amount of vegetation that falls on the boat (that and Iguana Poop) is considerable and regularly blocks the scupper holes. That tends to leave a grotty black/brown residue and the scuppers full of debris & water.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Jon W

If there's considerable debris forming a grotty black/brown residue it doesn't sound like a bigger hole is going to solve the problem. Why not put a tarp/cover over the boom to or over the port and starboard lifelines? Something inexpensive at first to try it. If it does the job upgrade to something "shippy".
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Paul : Go to a bigger hole and be sure to seal the new hole cut with epoxy.  Then you can use a larger tube to get the water away from making a dirty mark down the side.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

Paul, I don't have any pictures as I sold the boat a number of years ago.  As Ron said, just drill it and then coat the newly cut surface with epoxy.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

britinusa

Thanks guys.
I was cleaning the hull today and noticed that the holes appear to have a tube stuck into them that is perhaps less than 3/8" diameter.

Going back to the boat in the morning and will see if they come out.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Paul,

Obviously, the answer is......... be on the boat more often!   :thumb:

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Agreed! We feel it when the boat is still tied to the slip with two week old knots.

Then again, we have been pretty busy on the boat, the hull cleaning is really the first chance I have had between house and boat and, most importantly, our 3yr old Granddaughter, in 2 years. But the hull is looking really good.

Off to do the other half today.
:?

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

seamarc

A dock mate had the yard professionally sculpt the scuppers leaving a open shape. I drilled one out to see what was there and found the gunnel to be solid glass. Bored all 4 out to 1" and "painted" epoxy resin inside the hole. Works great!

Noah

What is your boat's year and hull number?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Quote from: Noah on June 30, 2017, 01:46:22 PM
What is your boat's year and hull number?

2nd that Q.

Not sure if our 87 would allow that, anyone got a pic of the deck/hull joint on a Mk 1 ?

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water