anchor chain on Maxwell VW 50windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

ealterman

In my new-to-me 2005 C34 II, I am thinking about replacing the chain (perhaps make it an all chain rode - maybe). Is there a size spec for the Maxwell VW 500 windlass that came from the factory? Or do I have to send a sample to a chain source to get that info?

Also, when anchoring, the anchor bashes into the roller furler on both lowering and raising it- I am concerned about long term damage. Has anyone come up with a solution to the problem. The anchor is a Rocna 15 (works GREAT).
Elliott

Momentum

Elliot...congradulation on your new boat!!!  I've got the same boat as you and I have 150' of 5/16" chain and 100' of rode.  I like to have the rode as a cushion in the bottom of the anchor well  and the chain rest on it.  I also like to have an easy way out if in the event that the hook is stuck in the bottom and that I have to leave in a hurry (ie: dangerous situation).  I always tought that it would be easier to cut the rode VS the chain!!  Depending of where you mainly sail you might want more or less chain but I like the security of having that much.
Just to be sure I would buy some 8" or 10" of the one you think is right and wrap it around the gypsy to see the fit.  Or if you had the manual then it would be easier.  Check carefully for the fit because it doesn't take much to make domage if it's the wrong size.

For the other question..I'm not sure to understand.  Maybe someone elsa can answer or give us more info.

Serge

Jon W

Part of my recent standing rigging upgrade was to raise the furler up so the anchor will clear it when it's raised or lowered. Be aware this may require shortening the luff of your headsail.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Get yourself some "high water pants" or in my case long link plates to raise your furler up. Gives you good visabilty under the sail. My boat came this way so don't know if it slows her down or not, but love the view forward.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

Do you have a dual rope/chain gypsy on your 500 windlass?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

John Langford

My Maxwell vw 500 windlass has a factory supplied gypsy option and it takes G-4 (Grade 40) high test 1/4" chain. However it was converted when I bought it in 2003 so I don't know if the previous owner had a choice of gypsy sizes and opted for the above or whether that was the only option. It is easy to take the gypsy off (in fact you should disassemble the drum and gypsy regularly to grease it) and bring it to a chandlery to check the size.

BTW, I have 150 ft of chain and 200 feet of rode. Instead of storing the rode at the bottom of the locker below the chain where it collects muck and debris, I keep it in a tall fairly narrow plastic container on one side of the locker that I put up on deck when I am dropping and lifting the anchor. In addition to keeping the rode clean, it also vastly improves the drop of the chain further down into the locker and makes the washing of the chain with a hose or buckets of salt water much more effective.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Dale Stone

Hello,
I am warned this string is over a year old but wanted to give it a try. I have a 2001 34 MKII and desire to upgrade the anchor from the CQR to a Rocna. The sizing chart calls out a 15Kg (33#) anchor. I am deciding between the Original and the Vulcan. Any thoughts on the two and how these fit on the standard C34 MKII roller would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Dale
Dale Stone 2001 C34 II, Hull #1526, Salem Ma

dfloeter

A few years ago we switched to a 15 Rocna and after banging up the gelcoat on the pointy end, replaced the nroller with the long, maybe 30", unit from Garhauer.   The only issue I have had since is when my anchor/chain shackle was mounted with the pin toward the roller, the pin caught the Schaeffer fin and bent it outward.  It looks goofy but can be bent back most of the way.  The Rocna has been a great anchor for us.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Dale Stone

Thank you
I was worried about the pointy end and what it would do to the gel coat. Was the 30"long roller refit a big job?
Dale Stone 2001 C34 II, Hull #1526, Salem Ma

dfloeter

As I recall, the hole pattern matched so the job was fairly easy.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Mick Laver

Elliot
The VW500 with a combination chain gypsy/rope windlass (which I assume you have) only supports 1/4" short link chain. The ACCO G43 1/4" works great. I switched to all-chain rode (300 ft!) and the weight penalty wasn't too terrible over the 220' rope/80' chain combination I had.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Dale Stone on November 02, 2018, 07:39:31 AM
Hello,
I am warned this string is over a year old but wanted to give it a try. I have a 2001 34 MKII and desire to upgrade the anchor from the CQR to a Rocna. The sizing chart calls out a 15Kg (33#) anchor. I am deciding between the Original and the Vulcan. Any thoughts on the two and how these fit on the standard C34 MKII roller would be very much appreciated.

Dale, please look in the 101 Topics sticky thread.  There are a few Anchoring 101 topics that answer your question.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Dale - As I recall, on the Rocna site, you can download PDFs that let you build a template of the outline of both anchors to test the fit on your existing bow roller.

Craig

John Langford

I have a Rocna standard/original 15kg anchor, 150 ft of 1/4" G-4 chain, 200 ft of rode, Maxwell 500 windlass and the standard 1999 roller with the OEM bale. No anchor swivel. The anchor regularly comes up without touching the gel coat or hitting the Schaefer furler drum. I raise the anchor with the windlass until the shank just touches the roller and then take it aboard by hand. No problem. Occasionally I have to drag the Rocna at slow speed to clean off the mud and have never made contact with the gel coat. When underway, it fits snuggly under the bale. I pull it tight along the roller using my anchor hook and line and use a u-shaped piece of starboard to pin it tightly to the roller to reduce anchor movement in a seaway. I have just ordered a Mantus S1 swivel to make it easier to orient the anchor before pulling it aboard.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Breakin Away

Quote from: Dale Stone on November 02, 2018, 07:39:31 AM
Hello,

Thanks
Dale
FWIW, I went with a 35 lb Mantus. It's very similar to Rocna, with a few design and fabrication differences that some see as improvements, and others see as liabilities. (There's no shortage of online debates over this.) It fits my roller perfectly. It's worked well for me, and has never failed to set on the first try.

My understanding is that the Rocna Vulcan is meant for powerboats that have problems fitting the roll bar. My belief (from reading, not from actual experience with the Vulcan) is that the roll bar (on both Rocna and Mantus) provides significant benefits to reliable setting.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)