Shower Sump Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

And if you are feeling energetic and looking for luxury, the C425 has a self-contained sump-box with a float and mini-bilge pump in it, that their shower drains into, and the pump just pumps out when it starts to fill! Just need to size a small water tight box into the bilge somewhere.  :D
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Fred, Steve's got a Mark I, hull #37.  Heck, older than mine and still floating!   :clap  Congratulations, I know how he feels... :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Hey Fred,
Based on your tagline, have you taken possession of your new C425?  Good for you!  Congratulations!! :clap
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Fred Koehlmann

Hi Roc,

Yes, we have. It landed in the water last Thursday, mast went on this past Monday, and we hope to sail it this coming weekend, assuming the weather holds. We've been having crazy rainy weather here. In fact the broker is currently trying to fix a number of leaks that we/I discovered last weekend (all above the waterline). I guess the wet weather is good for something.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Hugh17

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 21, 2017, 04:37:23 AM
Quote from: Hugh17 on June 20, 2017, 10:38:35 PM
Quote from: Noah on June 20, 2017, 07:26:09 AM
Yep! I installed a large Beckson inspection port under the teak sole. Very handi to have that hole.
ok, glad to hear that someone else has cut an access hole. Can you tell me how large or what size inspection plate you used? Also how much room is under the floor there? I've considered installing a shower sump pump in a pan under the floor if possible.

The May 2001 Tech Notes (and Online for C34IA members) has "the" article about how to cut a hole in the fiberglass floor under the teak & holly sole right in front of the door to the head.  The article uses a square opening trimmed with aluminum angles, but Noah's idea of a Beckson port is simpler and is just as effective.

You do NOT want to put a box with a pump inside it at that location.  You want a remote pump. The boats came with a diaphragm pump located under the head sink area, outboard of the muffler, with a switch on the vertical panel below the sink  and wired to the sump pump switch on the main electrical panel.  This is shown in the boat manual in the Plumbing section.  Sump box, hose, check valve (to prevent backflow into the sump), vented loop, diaphragm pump, thru hull.  The diaphragm pump is the proper selection of pump because it can provide enough lift to assure water flow without having to worry about priming the pump, and be run dry without damage to the pump.

My MK1 Hull 299 is set up as you described. But some PO replaced the diaphragm pump with an impeller type pump. I'm going back with an original type pump and adding the filter between the shower drain and pump.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/jabsco--bilge-shower-drain-pumps--P006620322?recordNum=2

However, I would like to replace the original hose and clamp attached to the shower drain, thus my question about installing an inspection port in the fiberglass floor just outside the head. I'll check out the tech note referenced. Thanks much!!
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25