Hard pumping head

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

Last year, towards the end of our short season, I found it was hard to pump the head, manual Jabsco.  The head needed replacing so I bought a new manual Jabsco.  Just launched the boat and when I started to prime and pump the new head, found same problem.  Water is drawn in very easy but when handle pushed down, feel pressure resistance.  I can only think that the diverter valve, into holding tank or out to sea, is somehow defective. I don't think it could be the vented loop as water just goes thru it.  The thru hull is clear.  If anyone can shed some light on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.  I need to get this fixed shortly, as the Tall Ships are parading intro Boston Harbor on Saturday and I have a crew to go and view.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Noah

Troubleshoot it in stages, a piece at a time, to isolate problem. 1. Disconnect the discharge hose from the diverter valve, stick it in a bucket or on towels, pump head, and see if it discharges from the hose. Then move down the line.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Also check the vent from the tank.

There are a number of head issues discussed in the 101 Topics that are worth a look.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

If your holding tank is full or close to it, a clogged vent will definately cause hard pumping. Your tank may swell as well.
Standard Rig

Jeff Kaplan

holding tank is empty, vents clear.  I'm still thinking that it's the diverter valve, rubber shifted to close off some of the waterway, I'll be back on boat tomorrow to  test the advice given.

Ed Shankle

Jeff,
Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you, but want to say that I had that same issue with my Jabsco and I don't have a diverter, always goes into the holding tank. I never solved it, just replaced it with a PHII, which I like much better. With the Jabsco I found that if I held some down pressure on the pump handle, after a few seconds it would eventually release the resistance and I'd be able to pump ok. Might work for you in a pinch until you get to the root cause.

regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Bobg

I had a similar problem and it wound up being the valves on top of the handle area, those little brass round things, one side would open and the other would not when put in dry bowl.  I bought the entire plunger system, helped for awhile, now when I flush, air and "liquid" sometimes shoots back out of the bowl "ugh", or when I operate the plunger and hold it down, I get a big "sigh" sound.  I have done just about everything I can think of, (new joker valves, plunger, valves, checked all hoses, vent was momentarily taken off the tank to check that. soaked everything in vinegar, ect), I am in lake superior and the water is crystal clear, I think it is just that the jabsco is a really inferior toilet.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

There is great merit in assigning the issue to the Jabsco mechanism.  Peggie has written repeatedly about this on other boating forums.  Why not here?  'Cuz we've repeatedly mentioned the advantages of the Raritan PHII assemblies and haven't had to repeat much about the Jabscos.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Jabscos are inexpensive and a bit flimsy, with lots of plastic parts that are easy to overtighten, causing leaks. However, I have never had any issues with them not pumping/clearing the bowl.
Standard Rig

mark_53

Did someone put something they haven't first eaten into the head? 
Can you pump out with the through hull open and does is suck raw water?

Ron Hill

All : I always wondered what the Chinese did to the type rubber used in the pump "O" ring they now supply.

25 years ago the pump slid up/down with ease.  Now it might need "head lube"!!

My solution is to take that "O" ring and soak it in silicone to make I more resilient.  It helps.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

I thank all for your replays. The situation has been resolved.  It turns out that years ago I installed an inline strainer in between seacock and head.. I took out the screen the year after, so just water would run thru.  Thru the years, the outlet munged up and caused pressure blockage as I was drawing in water.  The fix, I ran a new line from the seacock to head, and amazingly, no more problems. Going to see the Tall Ships tomorrow, weather is iffy. Thanks again

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on June 16, 2017, 04:14:56 PM
I thank all for your replays. The situation has been resolved.  It turns out that years ago I installed an inline strainer in between seacock and head.. I took out the screen the year after, so just water would run thru.  Thru the years, the outlet munged up and caused pressure blockage as I was drawing in water.  The fix, I ran a new line from the seacock to head, and amazingly, no more problems. Going to see the Tall Ships tomorrow, weather is iffy. Thanks again

Jeff so the hard pump was on the intake stroke?  not the pump stroke?

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jeff Kaplan

it was the pump stroke that was hard, all fixed now, I never should have installed an in line strainer.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on June 21, 2017, 06:11:12 AM
it was the pump stroke that was hard, all fixed now, I never should have installed an in line strainer.

Strange, I don't see how a blockage on the inlet side would cause hard pumping on the pump stroke.  Seems it would cause a vacuum when pumping on the intake stroke.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain