new countertop material and new pedestal table material

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

if you could (had to) replace your countertops, because of water damage and delamination, from white formica, what would you use?  i'm thinking about doing it this year, now that i fixed the leaking fixed plexiglass (i hope).  also, my pedestal table was this nasty wood, that again, was not taken care of by the original owner, and i'm thinking of the zacor plastic stuff.  opinions?  thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

patrice

Hi,
Ftom the tech wiki section.
http://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DGalley_Counter

And for the cockpit table, i made mine from wood and applied a few coats of outside varnish.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on June 20, 2017, 05:43:04 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
also, my pedestal table was this nasty wood, that again, was not taken care of by the original owner, and i'm thinking of the zacor plastic stuff.  opinions?  thanks

Becki,

Your choice of what to use to refinish / rebuild the galley countertop.  If the damage isn't too severe and just looks rotten, consider this:  http://www.impatientlycrafty.com/2012/10/04/laminate-counter-makeover-for-28-with-epoxy-contact-paper-yes-i-really-just-said-that/

Pedestal table?  Inside or outside?  If inside, do a search on salon+table or saloon+table, many ideas posted here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Very cool using contact paper.

I'm planning on redoing mine first was by using the rustoleum "countertop transformation"
Product but the selection of color is limited. I found another company that has essentially the same product but with a very wide range of colors. Less expensive than rustoleum also.
If anyone is interested I'll try and dig out the information on the company.

Rust oleum  has no actual samples in any stores, and would not send any actual samples. This company sent about 25 sample chips. They'll get my business   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

Stu - pedestal is outside

and the countertops in head and galley and sloping down, because of water damage, so they would need to be replaced.  thanks

Stu Jackson

The November 2015 TNO has a very good head counter replacement article.

Outside table:   Can you strip the old table down to bare wood and refinish?  If not the Zarcor tables sound good, with no maintenance.  Personally, I like wood better, and this is from a skipper who is redoing his cockpit teak as we speak!  :clap :clap :clap

Your boat, your choice. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

anaisdog

Stu Jackson

anaisdog

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

was taken by a friend who i'm convinced is stealing my boat, piece by piece!

mregan

I replaced all my countertops when I bought my boat 4 years ago.  All had water damage from the stanchion vents.  I used plywood and formica. But I used a formica with a granite looking pattern on it. Used the old countertops as templates.  Came out pretty well.