Anchor rode

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

I have a 2001 34, new to me. At anchor, routing the rode on the roller to deck cleat binds the rode across a stansion. Doesn't seem right. Should rode go from roller to cleat in the anchor locker? Is best to take rode off the roller and route rode direct to the deck cleat?

Ron Hill

Pat : The anchor rode should go from the anchor up thru the bow roller and then secured to the cleat in the anchor well.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

kwaltersmi

I've got 4 cleats at my bow. One on each side (port/starboard), one in the middle and one in the anchor locker. I use the middle cleat for the anchor rode when it's deployed and the cleat in the anchor locker when the anchor is up and stored on the roller.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Noah

Why do you have/need the middle cleat on deck? It seems to me like it would just be any extra annoyance to trip on.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

DaveBMusik

What about the locker cleat to secure the bitter end and the middle cleat to adjust the length of rode out?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

I find the mid cleat indispensable.  Many have added two bow cleats.  One skipper unfortunately removed the center cleat before asking.  :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kwaltersmi

Quote from: Noah on June 12, 2017, 07:24:33 AM
Why do you have/need the middle cleat on deck? It seems to me like it would just be any extra annoyance to trip on.

I use the middle cleat for anchoring and the port/starboard cleats for docking.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ron Hill

Pat : Once again let me remind owners that they need to state the production year of their C34 e.g.

1. The factory configuration of the 1986-1988 C34s have a center cleat and no side cleats with a double door anchor well.
2. The factory configuration of the 1989 and subsequent C34s have No center cleat, but 2 side cleats, a single door anchor well and a cleat inside the aft wall of the anchor well.

Please state your production year if you want a meaningful answer!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 12, 2017, 12:50:38 PM
Pat : Once again let me remind owners that they need to state the production year of their C34 e.g.

He did, Ron:  2001 C34.

And yes, you're right about the configurations.  We might also mention the differences with our older boats having the "toy" bow rollers vs. the extended rollers on later boats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Pat : Sorry about that!!  You don't have a center cleat unless you want to install one.  Your boat was meant to use the cleat in the anchor well.

The factory production 1986 thru 1988 also had 2 "small anchor rollers" that were attached on each side to the bow stem fitting. 
Then in 1989 and subsequent production the factory changed to an extended single bow roller on the starboard side to accommodate the windless (if one was installed).

RTFQ Ron, Thanks Stu.   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

mkII models have two cleats for dock lines on deck, and a cleat inside the anchor locker where you would cleat the rode at anchor. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Patriot

Thanks everyone!
This is a move up from a '86 Caliber 28. Loved that boat, but falling in love with my 2001 C34! Perfect weekend live aboard for Flathead Lake MT.  The boat was launched here when new. Thanks very much to Patriot's prior owners for taking suck great care of her!

patrice

Quote from: Patriot on June 12, 2017, 07:24:41 PM
Thanks very much to Patriot's prior owners for taking suck great care of her!

So, he took care or not ???   :rolling
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Patriot

Sorry. Fat fingers. Yes. They took SUCH Great care, and had little time to enjoy it. We are fortunate to be the next caretakers of Patriot.

anon

Are there aftermarket extended bow rollers to replace the factory fit '86 model? I am being told by my dock neighbors that I could do with a 33lb anchor and that I should consider a windlass.
I noticed that most boats in the marina keep their anchors in the bow roller rather than the locker.
Is there a general upgrade path for anchors?
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP