Boom configuration and Reefing

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

Yesterday I stripped the boom down in preparation for painting. This has me thinking of how I'll set it up when I reassemble it and whether I should be filling any holes. Today i posted a write-up about redoing the boom including a bunch of pictures of the boom. http://svhappycamper.com/2017/03/restoring-the-spars-pt-1/

I've never reefed with this boat and am not sure what some of the fittings are for on the boom. Would anyone be up to trying to guess what the PO had in mind? There are a few extra cheek blocks and something that looks like it should have been on a track instead of screwed to the boom.

Do people recommend upgrading the outhaul to something greater then the 3:1?
Installing Single-line reefing? Possibly previously had one?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Jon W

I answered about one cheek block on your happy camper post.

I just added single line reefing for the 2 reef points on the main using the OEM boom fittings. I have led both reef lines back to the cockpit. It works but need to remember to store the flaked reef lines in the main folds when it's stowed on the boom. If the reef lines are pulled back to the cockpit it's almost impossible to raise the main next time.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Bob&Wly

Hi Jon

How much time did it take to set up your single line reefing system?

Jon W

Unfortunately I can't give a good answer because it was part of the rig upgrade I had done by CC Rigging in San Diego. There weren't a lot of changes as I recall. Adding a couple blocks, pins in the mast collar, deck organizers from doubles to quads, and I replaced the single clutch and jam cleat on the cabin top by the companionway with triples on each side of the companionway.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca