M-35B / sailor Michael

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Michael,

Welcome, and thank you for putting your boat information in the post.   It's good also if in your forum profile you put your boat information and engine information so that it shows up on the sidebar of the forum post.

It looks like what you have there is an M-30B.   So you should look at service bulletins that specifically referenced that engine.

the alternator bracket upgrade was  for the older series engines, the new B-series have no issue with  the alternator bracket.

I see that you have the Sherwood  seawater pump, you might want to search the forum, and the tech wiki site for articles on the Sherwood versus Oberdorfer pump for the B series engines.
JTSO  there is no comparison  in quality between the two, and you might want to think about upgrading to an OB.

One issue that is prevalent in ALL B series engines is that the low oil pressure switch (mounted on a bracket , Port side, under the starter) is subject to the terminal tabs breaking off. This will happen, it's just a question of when not if. The reason is Westerbeke used stiff auto wire instead of fine-stranded marine wire for its harnesses.  Thus vibration and movement in the harness breaks one or two tabs off the oil pressure switch.  That's documented on the forum also if you do a search for it.   There's a couple ways to fix this, one of which is to cut the wires back and crimp but crimp on fine stranded wire to the terminals so that it's flexible, and then make sure that the harness is well zip tied so that there's no relative movement/vibration  between the harness and switch. (i.e.,  The engine, harness, and switch all vibrate together. )

Another issue is, there was an SB for the B-series engines to ensure that it there is a reinforcing ring on the gear shaft that drives the seawater pump  another issue is, there was an SB for the B-series engines to ensure that it there is a reinforcing ring on the gear shaft that drives the seawater pump.    I believe that pertains to the 35-B in addition to the 25-XPB. You can check that SB against your engine serial number/date, but to check it for sure you remove the pump and look at the end of the shaft with a flashlight. You'll see whether there's a reinforcing ring on the outside of the fork  that drives the sea water pump.

The reason for that reinforcing ring, is due to the Sherwood pump. The iron body will seize up if not maintained "daily" as Wb recommends. In fact rather than put a decent pump on there they had to put a reinforcing ring on the shift so that when the pump seized, it doesn't crack the split on the fork.  When you're on here  you'll see me say this  enough times that you may get sick of it but, "typical Westerbeke".

Leslie be sure not to confuse anything you read on here about 35 or 35A with your 35B -- they are absolutely completely different engines.
If you were crankcase breather hose is cut at an angle and zip tied to your air intake, open parentheses again, typical Westerbeke) you can connect it directly to the intake or intake manifold by a few different methods.

There's probably more on that engine that I'll think of later.

Cheers and good luck with the survey,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailor michael

Thank you!  I see the upgraded water pump at Catalina Direct.  Survey will be done next week and I will be able to get numbers and list if various SBs have been complied with.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Cheers,

KWKloeber

Michael,

I believe that on the tech wiki site I have posted all the SBs that pertain to our  universal engines.

You can also go to the Westerbeke website, look up the specific engine model,  and look at the technical documents available.   HOWEVER,  I have found for some engines (not sure about yours) Wb does not list all applicable SB's. I.e., apparently they are not  completely/correctly  cross referenced in the Wb database of SBs.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roc

Hi Michael,
If you have a mkII model, your engine is a M35B.  Two SB's come to mind.  One is what Ken says about the reinforcement collar on the gear shaft.  With the pump off, you'll see it around the shaft with the forked end.  The other SB is the fuel filter bracket.  That can develop a crack and Westerbeke sent out new brackets if you contacted them during the SB timing.  I guess it's past due now so they probably don't honor it.  You'll see the crack on the inside curve of the bracket.  I believe you need to take the filter off to see it if I remember correctly.  Mine was cracked and they sent me a new one during the SB time.  I'm not aware of any issue with the alternator bracket on the M35B. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD