Steaming/Deck lights on Mk II

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

I need to replace the deck light on my Mk II, and since I'm "in the neighborhood" I figured I'd replace the steaming light as well. Does anyone have the spec for these bulbs? The owners manual lists both lights as "2LT 996 505001" which googles to a Hellamarine page in German that requires Flash. Boo.

I've attached - I hope - a picture of fixture. Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

I'd google hella or search the west marine site for a "Hella combo masthead light/deck light", and see which halogen (or LED?) bulb they use. 

No doubt it's 2-mile, festoon base, or a reverse-festoon base.  Or the Hella website?
A masthead light is it's  "official" name.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ed Shankle

Forspar makes a combo unit. West Marine carries it. Looks the same as your pic.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

patrice

Hi,
I biught my replacement bulbs from marinebeam.
They carry hella brand
http://store.marinebeam.com/?fullSite=1
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Mick : There is no need to "just" replace the steaming light bulb, but just carry a spare as a just in case it were to go out.  That bulb seldom wears out like the halogen deck light bulb.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Mick Laver

Just in case this comes up again:

The steaming light is a 42mm festoon type, replaced with a #1418WH from LED Wholesailers for $8.99. This is the same bulb that's used in the Aqua Signal running lights so now I have a spare for all three. (I know it makes little sense to replace the steaming light with an LED to save energy, but I was there and I hope this assures that I won't need to change it again!)

The deck light is an MR16 type, replaced with a Phillips 3W spot, width 46mm length 50mm. Warm white, from Amazon. $8.80.

The fixture itself comes apart easily to replace the bulbs. No tools required, but you may want to hit the sockets with contact cleaner.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Breakin Away

Quote from: Mick Laver on July 15, 2017, 03:43:11 PM
Just in case this comes up again:

The steaming light is a 42mm festoon type, replaced with a #1418WH from LED Wholesailers for $8.99. This is the same bulb that's used in the Aqua Signal running lights so now I have a spare for all three...
What model of Aqua Signal red/green light comes with a white LED inside? I always thought (backed up by my knowledge of color theory, as an ink/paint scientist) that putting a  so-called white LED behind green/red filters would result in light that was outside the USCG color spec (green is too bluish, red is too orange), and that the underlying LED had to put out red/green at the correct color, and shine though a clear filter. ("So-called" because the LED isn't really white in the way that an incandescent bulb is.)

Incandescent lights emit a broad spectrum of colors to appear white. You can stick them behind red/green filters with the expected results. But unlike incandescents, LEDs emit on very narrow wavelength bands, and only approximate white color. When you stick them behind a red/green filter, odd things happen.

Has this changed with recent LEDs?

Here's some stuff that came out of a search of this forum. (I've seen much more on other websites, too.) Perhaps it's outdated based on new technology?

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7578.msg51810.html#msg51810

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8864.msg64067.html#msg64067

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)