Alert - Engine Crankshaft Lipseals

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisyse

Has Ron Hill or anyone else ever expanded on this topic?
"I'm in the process of writing an article for the Mainsheet Tech notes on this topic. ..........." from Alert - Engine Crankshaft Lipseals"? I was unable to find any further discussion. I may need to replace the seal, and it appears leaks after replacement happened to him.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4407.msg25716.html#msg25716

Thanks,
Chris

Ron Hill

chris : I have replaced the rear crankshaft lip seal and have helped 2 other C34 owner replace the front crankshaft lip seal. You have to remove the engine to replace the rear, but the front can be replaced with the engine in place.

Truthfully I do not recall (but think I did) if I wrote an article on replacing the rear seal.

I'd recommend that you contact your local Kubota dealer. 
The front seal was easy, but the rear was more difficult - especially if you also replace the race that the seal rides on. 

A few thoughts  Hope this helps
Ron, Apache #788

chrisyse

Ron,
My engine leak is in the rear seal area. I'm expecting to just replace the seal, not the race. I'll try to discuss this with a Kubota dealer. I'd like to get a copy of their service manual or section of it to better avoid problems with a replacement rear seal.

Do you recall why your replacement rear oil seal did not seat? I'm assuming it is pressed into the bearing case cover and slips over the race.

Ron Hill..........." It's ironic, but the same thing happened to me (spoiling my fall cruise this past year).  Pulled the engine, fixed the seal, reinstalled the engine and it leaked again!  In my case it was also the rear seal.  As I recall that seal is about $30(from Kubota), but a GIANT pain to get to it.  My first seal had a 1 " tear in the lip.  The second problem was that the replacement seal did not remain sealed and was coming out (not seated) on the starboard side.  I'd guess that it was just a matter of time till it would have popped  completely out.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4407.msg25716.html#msg25716

Thanks

Ron Hill

Chris : The first rear crank lip-seal installed was by the marina while I was not there.  That made me unhappy as I wanted to watch the lite beer guy (starting @10:00 and drinking all day!!) to make sure it was done correctly.  No such luck and it started to leak after a few hours of running. Talk about a unhappy camper!!

I pulled the engine again and this time took it to the Kubota dealer - who installed the lip seal and the race that it rides on.  The race installation was very interesting.  The race is made of Hi-Chrom steel and very brittle.  When hit with a chisel it cracked and was pulled off the crank shaft with two fingers.  The new race was put in boiling oil and it expanded enough that with tongs it slid half way into place on the crank shaft.  A few light taps on the old race (on the end) moved the new race in position.  The lip seal is a no-brainer just tap it in place with a socket until it's seated.  The 5? fly wheel holes are non symmetrical so you just have to get them lined up properly, same with the damper plate. 

The engine then had a new problem near the end of the season and as it turned out (learned much later) it was with the #1 piston crank bearing.  Anyway the marina wanted to buy the engine from me.  Buy = lift OUT+IN + winter storage. 
So I "sold" it as I was tired of installing and removing engines in a C34!!  It was 20 years old with 5000 hrs and I wanted to go sailing!!  I had warned the marina about the noise I heard, but they shrugged it off!!
I then started to look at replacement engines and zeroed in on the M25XPB.  it was then I found (by measuring) that after the engine was installed (a 3 cylinder) that the boat was finished around THAT engine and there was NO way a 4 cylinder engine would fit with out rebuilding the inside!!!

So the last lip seal held.  I believe that you mentioned not replacing the race.  When I replaced the lip seals in my Oberdoffer I also replaced the shaft that the seals ride on. That way I knew that the water leak would be fixed.  I used the same logic on that rear crank lip seal especially because of what you have to go thru to replace it!!

Good Luck

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788