Centek Vernalift Muffler.

Previous topic - Next topic

skippervic

Ahoy Sailors!
I was thinking about replacing Aqualift Muffler on my Ctalina 34 Mk 1.5 (1994). The thing is: CatalinaDirect doesn't have them right now. I've been told the current vendor discontinued production and they are in search of a new one who can build it to the spec. Meanwhile they are out of stock and have no estimate for the new arrivals. Given the circumstances, I started looking for alternatives and came across Centek Vernalift (http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=3370202). According to the manufacturer, it works with diesel engines up to 40 hp and exceeds ABYC specifications. And it costs just $175 (vs catalina $400). Looks like a good alternative to me except for one thing: According to the specs, it is D 10.4 x H 10.16, which roughly gives 450 cubic inches. Catalina Aqualift is 12x11x6 - roughly 800 cubic inches. This is almost twice the volume. I would hate this thing to overflow and flood the engine. What are your thoughts on this? Are there any alternatives to Aqualift aside from building your own with fiberglass and epoxy?

KWKloeber

Vic,

That model won't work for you.  First it's way to tall.  Second, it's for a 2" riser and 2" exhaust hose.

I believe that the aqualift is around 9-1/2" to 10" high overall.  And it has a 1-5/8" inlet and outlet.

I just sold a 6" dia Centek for on a Catalina 30.  I personally have a 6" dia stainless round can muffler for the past 20 years and no issue whatsoever.   The 8" Centek model is 10.5" high, but you might be able to get that down to 10". I can't speak to what you can physically[/size] squeeze [/size][size=78%]in there because I know that access to get the muffler in is very tight.[/size]

I might be able to get Centek to make one similar height to an aqualift with more capacity than the round -- the one for the C30 was a special non-stock order.

cheers
ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Before I was so nicely gifted with a replacement muffler (see 2016 Tech Notes), I looked at these.

I started by looking at the ones with 1 5/8" openings.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

skippervic

After spending a day in the engine compartment, I found that the muffler was not damaged and will probably work for a few more years. The exhaust riser, however was totally busted (separated at the nipple welding seam). I have ordered a new one already.

Thanks everybody for response.

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

skippervic

Thanks.
I got the Trident pump hose from Catalina direct.
Now I have to pull out the old riser and the leaky exhaust manifold and then hopefully put everything back together :)

KWKloeber

What kind of shape is the exhaust flange in?
When you replace the gasket make sure you put it on the correct direction otherwise you lose all your coolant out the muffler   
Pictures?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: skippervic on May 28, 2017, 07:56:37 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Now I have to pull out the old riser and the leaky exhaust manifold and then hopefully put everything back together :)

Details are in the aforementioned 2016 Tech Notes Online.
Good luck, it's a juggling act!   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

In light of Catalina Direct being "out of stock" of OEM (or copies of) is there any current source for these replacement mufflers?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

My "next try" would be Catalina Yachts.  Anybody know if they have any?

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu, I don't know if they have them but I've always had better luck with parts and better service with Catalina Yachts than Catalina Direct. They just seem to go that extra mile when you need it. I would defiantly try them and their prices seem to be better too.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Vic : Your original muffler is made out of fiberglass and mat. 
You can probably just repair it if the $$ for a new factory one is too much!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Skipper,

Is there something wrong with your aqua lift? Leaking?.
You might just try some preventative reinforcing. Fairly easy to do.