Leaking tranny fluid

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

After running my engine on the hard (after a long winters nap) I found a fairly good amount of tranny fluid on my white apsorption pad under the tranny. After the panic that I have to pull my engine and take off the tranny, I decided to make sure I had the fluid down to the right level as I over fill in the off season. I found that I was pretty far over filled still. After I got fluid down to propper level (I know to just bring threads so they just mate, not screwed in), I ran the engine again for about 20 minutes an only found a slight drip of pinkish fluid, certainly not worthy of delaying the season and quite a few $$ in pulling the engine and tranny.
I am wondering if anybody has seen this leaking from over fill?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Absolutely.
The dipstick is a hollow tube vent that exits at a hole in the side of the hex head.

I've previously posted what I use when I change tranny fluid to ensure it's not over filled, or (when I used to winter on the hard) and filled the tranny full after changing fluid in the fall, I used in the spring to suck it down to the proper level.   You'll see it if you do a search from the main page search box.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Paul : Now that you have the fluid to the correct level here's what I do:

I'd take mild detergent and wash the transmission (W/soft brush) a few times to make sure that all the oil is off the outside case.
Then run the engine (in gear) for a few hours and determine that oil is not coming out of the dip stick vent hole or the shifter lip seal.

You're probably OK and learned - NOT to over fill the transmission!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788