Catalina Direct Bimini

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

I too am interested in a new bimini for my 34.  Been shopping around and got a price from the local canvas shop as well. I'll likely go with CatalinaOwners.com.  Their price with several additional features is about 2/3 the price of the local shop for a pushpit mount.  They sent me pictures of several they've done and they look quite nice and sturdy with all SS 1" tubing.  Taling to them on the phone was a big help in understanding what they offer. They wont make side curtains however, they'll add, for an extra fee, zippers on the back and sides for when I do want to add curtains, a zipper in the front for having a local shop make the piece between the bimini and dodger, top window for sighting the masthead and the zippers etc. for the split backstay.  Now that I have my pushpit repaired and re-mounted just last week, I'll be able to take the needed measurements for ordering it.  The local shops price didn't include the extra zippers for future curtains.   Current priority is finishing everything needed to get her back in the water asap.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

chrisyse

Hi,
What was the final price?  We're you satisfied with the bimini?

Thanks,
Chris

anon

Long shot. Does anybody know of any CAD or drawings for a C34 Dodger? I recently saw the list of desirable Dodger features.
The only Dodger manufacturer I have found is Iversons and they are extremely expensive. (Albeit awesome apparently).
Alternatively, I could make 3D CAD if I knew good attachment points on the boat and desirable key dimensions.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Noah

I wouldn't recommend that approach. Use a local canvas shop to ensure proper fit. And yes, dodgers are expensive. Figure $2,500 - $4,500, but lots of variables. Search "dodger cost" on this site and other dodger keyword strings. Lot's written here. But consider inflation factor on any old price quotes mentioned.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Sophie on May 21, 2017, 11:41:44 AM
I want to install a bimini and dodger. Can somebody recommend a good dodger? Do I need to take measurements or do manufacturers know the dimensions of a MK 1 34?

Will you be doing the full shot, w/ connecting awning?  That's what the local guy recommended when I first had my 30 done, and I wouldn't ever go any other way. I'm glad that I went w/ his recommendation.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anon

Looks awesome. I think that Dodger, Bimini and connecting awning is the way to go and I would like to cost such a set up. Need to find somebody who supplies them. I have not turned up anything so far apart from Iversons who are a little too expensive.
A guy in my marina had a custom all fiberglass dodger made for his Cat 38 some years ago for 3K. I will try to post a picture if folks would be interested.
Meanwhile I am still looking for C34 CAD or drawings / dimensions plus attachment points so that I can model a Dodger in 3D.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

KWKloeber

Any local Marine canvas guy who deals with sailboat that's worth his salt should be able to do that no problem. My guy specifically made it a "California style" dodger.  The dodger is totally hard-point supported, no straps -- the Bimini is rail supported.   Super strong. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

This winter I bought a dodger and bimini from Catalina Yachts.  I'm very pleased.  Was just like the original.  Price was much lower then the local canvas people were quoting.   If you think your canvas is OEM  call Hilaio at 1 818 470-9664 all he want to know from me was the hull number.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anon

Reading "The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat" I no longer think an all fiberglass Dodger is a good thing. (Windage).
@Jim - when you say you bought a dodger and bimini do you mean just the canvas? I am still looking for a frame maker.
Thank you
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Jim Hardesty

Quotewhen you say you bought a dodger and bimini do you mean just the canvas?
Yes.  I just bought the replacement canvas.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA