Heat Exchanger install can't remove transmission dipstick.

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

I thought that that was the purpose of the new style bell housing that "excepted with the cut out that "accepted" the 3" HX.   Could you get that the dipstick with your old bracket?   I haven't seen any XPs with other than your new style brackets, and the brackets that were brazed right onto the HX   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

And with that you had no issue accessing the dipstick?

Pic?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Ancient history, it was a "new" boat, before I paid attention to such things. So I can't say.
Standard Rig

Jon W

If I remember correctly my HX is mounted in a cradle bolted to the underside of the aft cabin floor. I'm out of town so can't check for sure.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Closing the "HX loop" on this: Victory was achieved this weekend in my HX vs Transmission dipstick battle. I relocated HX from engine to the aft engine compartment bulkhead instead. I made a 1/4 aluminum base plate (5-1/2  in. x 10 in.) and bolted on the saddle brackets that came with my SeaKamp HX and then bolted the whole shabang to the aft bulhead of the engine compartment, with bolt heads through to the aft bunk which, are hidden by the mattress edge. While it now allows easy, full access to the transmission, it did complicate the hose run a bit, requiring longer hoses and also created a bit of a PIA to tighten hose clamps. But, all-in-all a win!! It was also a good learning exercise for me, a non-machanic, to do some basic engine tinkering, including going through the coolent "burping" scenario for the first time.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Looks good. The zinc will be a little easier to get to as well.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Yep! Looks like the area could use a coat or two of white bilge paint, sooner than later. You busy? :abd:
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Very "cool" Hx  Noah.  Nice install and more convenient.

ken

J_Sail

Nice work! I'm an old engine junkie and appreciate how much harder it is to work in such cramped quarters.

Jon W

Hi Noah, as hot and humid as it's been in San Diego lately, I think rebedding my opening ports in the salon sounds better.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca