Locking the hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

I am contemplating upgrading the rather pitiful lock, hasp and staple on my C34. I like ABUS locks and hardware.
Here is an installation on a C30. Not pretty but with fasteners that go all the way through the wood and using backing plates, the hatch is going to give way before the hardware.
It has me thinking that I would also need to do something about the hatch over the vee berth for total security.
I am new to this so what do other owners think?
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Hugh17

I would flip that hasp over. It will fit better and can be located in the center of the hatch.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

anon

It is not on my boat but I am thinking of something similar. Flipping it over is a good idea although the hasp would be hanging below the sliding cover.
I guess my original question relates to overall security and whether other folk had installed such a strong lock.
This ABUS has unique keys and the type of lock has no exposed shackle.
https://www.amazon.com/ABUS-20-70-KD-Stainless/dp/B009S5Y6ZS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494862297&sr=8-4&keywords=abus+lock
I had also wondered in my original question about the forward hatch which would be the only other point of entry, barring cutting through the hatch boards.
Thanks everyone.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

mark_53

That latch looks like it will rust out, is off center, and in my opinion just plain ugly. I have a combination lock with a much simpler latch. The forward hatch has a lock mechanism built in.

anon

The latch is stainless, made in Germany as the lock is.
https://www.amazon.com/ABUS-140-120-Weather-Stainless/dp/B004C47L8E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494868570&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=abus+stainless+latch
It is the strongest on the market I think. I am looking for better security than I have seen on most boats. I would sacrifice some dock appeal for good security.
The forward vee berth hatch is easy to break into as are most padlocks. The standard hasp and staple on a C34 will shear even if the lock is not cut off.
I am open to ideas.
Thank you

"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Noah

You must live in a rough neighborhood!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Sophie on May 14, 2017, 05:50:40 PM
1.  >>>>>I like ABUS locks and hardware.

2.  >>>>>>>>>>>>> Not pretty but with fasteners that go all the way through the wood and using backing plates, the hatch is going to give way before the hardware.

3.  It has me thinking that I would also need to do something about the hatch over the vee berth for total security.

Sophie,

1.  ABS hardware is great because it doesn't rust.  We have three ABUS locks for our companionway, port locker and lazarette.  I oil them once a decade! :D  Other locks I have for the dinghy ss keeper and the anchor locker, keyed alike from ACE Hardware, last only a few years even when oiled.  I just never bought ABUS for those locks.

2.  "...the hatch is going to give way before the hardware" is the telling key to this issue.  I believe that even if they are thru bolted, a long screw driver used as a lever will easily break either the thru bolts or the surrounding wood.

3.  Depends on which hatch you have: solid like on our older boats or clear like on the 1987 or 88 boats and on.  My solid hatch has closers on the inside; the knobs on them died years ago and I replaced them with wing nuts.  I am not familiar with the clear hatch locking mechanisms.

Basically, locks are there to prevent lazy thieves.  Anyone "determined" to get into the boat cand and will.  Don't overthink a false sense of security.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

Locks, no matter how big, beefy and secure only keep honest people honest.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Fred Koehlmann

Our C34 had a similiar simple latch [https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Turning-Padlock-Mount/dp/B01DHBWQAU/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1494872831&sr=1-7&keywords=stainless+steel+latch].

It is mounted off onto the starboard side of the top board and sliding hatch. The hinged piece is on the board. You do not want it on top, or you'll curse every time you hit your head on it (usually on wavy days when you need to get out quickly).

We just use a Canadian Tire, all weather pad lock. Works great. Is simple. Anyone that really wants into the boat, can easily break the plexi on the cabin hatches.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Paulus

My hatch was kicked in during the winter(about 20 yrs ago).  The only damage was the hatch board and a hole cut in my winter cover. I believe that any of the latches on our boats could be broken by a large screw driver as Stu suggested earlier. 
Paulus
Cool Change 1989 #944

SPembleton

Remember that your goal is only look like your boat is harder to break into that the boat next door! You will never make it impenetratable. Even a sign sayimg "Smile, you are on camera" can be effective. With all of the masts, light poles etc, no one could be sure whether or not there is a camera.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Jim Hardesty

QuoteRemember that your goal is only look like your boat is harder to break into that the boat next door!

That is my thought.  Except,  being a very sound sleeper, and sometimes docking in places of dubious security.  I'm concerned about someone boarding while I'm asleep.  I've added a pin that when in place will not allow my companionway to open.  At least without making a lot of racket.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anon

Thanks to everybody who has replied so far.
Apart from a lock, I am installing a Nest outdoor camera https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam-outdoor/
They cost $175 and monitoring is $100 per year. If you have wifi at your dock you can live stream to your desk top or cell phone. You can also rewind up to 30 days.
The system alerts you if it thinks it has seen a person.
I was thinking of adding an uninterruptible power supply for the wifi and camera. In that case, a would be bad guy could disconnect the dock power but still be caught on camera.
Another passive thing for security is a SpotTrace unit. https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=128 These are small GPS units that report in every day to let you know where your boat is. It will alert you if it senses that he boat has moved. I think they are a bargain at $100.
I am hoping that adding some or all of these security measures will help reduce my insurance premium as well as give me a little piece of mind.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Sue Clancy

You may want to look at a system like boat command https://boatcommand.com.

It has a geofence idea similar to your gps approach that tells you if the boat moves and can also monitor a device on the entry which alerts you.  It also has other valu for remote monitoring like battery voltage, bilge alarms, and power cord disconnect.

It came installed on our new boat and seems to work very well. Other than the geofence we don't have a need for the security features but Peace of mind for those of us not that close to our boats. I knew immediately that our boat had moved for spring launch. Hours before the marina called to let me know.

Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

anon

Thank you so much Sue. That looks perfect and I had not heard of it before.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP