Replacing CNG GSI Range

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

[img]I want to replace my origanal GSI Range with a butane/LP Range. I'm sure others have already done this. What brand/model have you used? Would prefer not to have to make any modifications to the cabinets.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

James,

You don't need to change the range, you just need to convert the burners.

I just did a C34 site search on "converting cng to propane" and had 11 hits.  (Site search is on the home page).

You can use this phrase to search on Google - there are thousands of posts on this very topic.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

Do you have to relocate your tank as well?  You can put a CNG tank just about any convenient place on a boat where regulations for other fuel tank placement is much tighter.  I know propane has to have a dedicated locker, don't know about butane.

I love my CNG setup and would never replace it.

DaveBMusik

Your range is in great shape compared to mine which was already converted. I chose to replace mine and opted for a Dickenson Carribean model which looked like the same specs. After pulling mine a DB taking the new one out of the box, I discovered the Dickenson has a right angle at back instead of the slant that the original had. It is a close fit between clearance for the galley drawers, the aft  cabin door hinge and the hull shape at the rear of the range.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Hugh17

Thanks for the replies. After measuring my range I agree that finding a replacement that will fit may be
difficult. I also visiting a Morgan OI41 where the owner converted his to butane for a couple hundred
dollars. I'm going to pursue this option for now. I'll report back as I learn more. Thanks for the replies.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Hugh17

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 13, 2017, 05:54:16 PM
James,

You don't need to change the range, you just need to convert the burners.

I just did a C34 site search on "converting cng to propane" and had 11 hits.  (Site search is on the home page).

You can use this phrase to search on Google - there are thousands of posts on this very topic.

Stu,

Is there  way to convert the burners and add thermocouples so they are in compliance with USCG and AYBC codes?
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

James,

I'm not sure what you mean.  I am sure that in your search for the various thousands of posts on this topic, someone would have mentioned if the conversion was street legal or not.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Hugh17

Stu,

This is the response I've received from Todd at Sure Marine.

"If you only want to make the stove top functional, all it requires is changing out the jets at about $10 each. That said, there is no way to convert the stove top to propane and have it be US Coast Guard or abyc compliant when done. This has to do with a 1980's ABYC standard requiring thermocouple safety shut offs on all propane burners. There's no way to retrofit that technology onto your stove.

In regards to the oven you would most likely need to change the oven thermostat, and the parts are no longer available. There's a slight chance your existing thermostat can be converted, but I would need to see a photo of it. Otherwise the only way to convert the oven would be to find an existing equivalent propane oven and you can strip the thermostat out of."

I'm still trying to figure out if there's an option for converting the burners in a way that will make them complaint with code. I'm not willing to just change out the orifices and use LP without th burners having safety thermocouples. If anyone has an answer to this problem I'd love to hear it.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

chuck53

Hugh17,
Just curious, why do you want to make this switch?

Hugh17

Chuck53,

That's a good question. Ive been debating this for a couple years.

1) The oven thermostat doesn't work and I could be looking at $100-$200 to repair.
2) My CNG tanks are no longer certified so I need to replace them. They are only rated to 2500psi and CNG pumps are rated at 3500psi. Tanks are not inexpensive!
3) Although a minor advantage, removing the CNG tank will free up a locker which I can use for dry food storage.

I would like to convert my existing range, but Todd at Sure Marine doesn't feel that it can be done and also be compliant with codes. Primarily the cook burners would not have thermocouple protection.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

James,

I have the same issue.  I moved to Canada and there simply is NO CNG here.

My thought process is this:  I learned a lot from your contact response from Todd at Sure Marine.  However, if I want a working stove, I still have the option of refurbishing it to prior standards.  There are literally thousands of stoves on boats that have propane without thermocouples.  And there is no way any surveyor in the future would know that it used to be CNG on a 30 year old boat - it could well have come that way.  Codes are NOT retroactive, skippers can choose to be.

Earlier I suggested sources for finding ways to do it.  Because Todd won't, and I admire him for that, there's no way I couldn't find a way to do it.  I have two full CNG tanks, but haven't used them since I left SF on August 8, 2016.  We bought (for the trip up) and still use a butane single burner stove.

Your boat, your choice.   :D

Hugh17

Stu,
I agree with you in that ultimately each owner has to decide which route to take pertaining to range issue. None of the choices are simple or inexpensive.
1)Keep the original CNG range and upgrade the gas bottles. Cost - $300 to $600. Live with difficulty finding CNG refill stations.
2)Convert the CNG range to LP and accept the responsibility for direct on/off gas valves without thermocouple safety protection. Cost - under $100.
3) Change out the CNG range to a new LP range. So far the only one I've found that will fit is the Dickinson Caribbean Model 00-CAR2B at a cost of $1,500. Ouch!
4)Switch to an electric range. And add another 30 amp service to the boat. Cost not determined.

Let me add that I haven't given up that someone other than Todd may be able to advise me on a source for compliant valves. I have a good friend locally who owns a LP gas business. I plan to check with him and see if he may know of a source for parts to rebuild the range with valves with thermocouples.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

James, please let me know what you find out about the burners.  Nice summary of the options, well done, thanks.

DaveBMusik

Here is a pic of my Dickenson Caribbean install.
Very tight clearance with the aft cabin door hinge, the galley drawers vs oven handle and the hull curve in the back. I elected to use the gimbal mount rather than mess around with the counters even though there is no room to pivot on port tack. I plan to just leave it locked in place.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Hugh17

Dave
Is yours range the Brand: Dickinson Marine
Model #: 00-CAR2B?
James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna