Transmission cable adjustment

Previous topic - Next topic

hdevera

I had to have my transmission pulled and sent to the factory for repair of the dip screw...that's another story.  Anyway, I have the transmission back but occassionally when I attempt to put it in forward gear, it doesn't go into gear.  I'm not certain how to adjust this, but I'm sure there must be a simple way.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jack Hutteball

Hal,
This sounds exactly like what my transmission was doing.  The dealer could not get it fixed with adjusting or any other thing they tried.  It was replaced under warrenty
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

hdevera

Jack,
I very curious.  My hull number is 1554!!  I had assumed it was a cable adjustment that was necessary.  The lever to put it into forward hits the stantion...and cannot go forward any further.  Reverse is no problem.  Is this the same problem you were having?

cholder

I'd suggest you take another approach, rather than bend the levers.  If you look at the transmission you'll see that the sheath of the cable is attached to a bracket that protrudes from the back of the transmission.  Adding an extension plate or drilling holes closer to the engine will move the sheath. The key point is that it's the relative position of the core and the sheath that makes the system work.

Mike Smith

See my most recent post under "Angled Pedestal Guard" and this link:

http://www.catalina36.org/Article_transmission.htm

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com