anchor gear

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

Very seldom do I drop anchor, but the Tall Ships are coming to Boston June 17th and I want to be there. Upon checking out my gear, I noticed that the chain and rope look pretty natty. As I must replace the chain and rope, my question is, chain size 1/4" or 3/8" and is 15' good or should be longer. Also, 1/2" rope X 150', twisted or braided, which one is more preferd. Will drop anchor in about 40', with so many boats around will definetly not get a 7:1 scope, probably about 3:1 for a few hours. I welcome all responses. Thanks, and sorry for any spelling mistakes.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

KWKloeber

Jeff,

For a rode  and must most other lines, I much prefer twisted.
You want stretch :thumb: not shock  :shock:

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Craig Illman

Jeff - rank cost, weight, and strength for YOUR needs and let that guide your choice.

Craig

Dave Spencer

Hi Jeff,
Wow, a "how shall I anchor" question... that's really opening a can of worms.   :shock:
To address your question, I think 1/4" chain is a little light.  I anchor our a lot and I have 86ft of G4 5/16" chain plus about 150 ft of 9/16" twisted braid rode.  3/8" chain would also be fine but as Craig suggested, be aware of the weight if you are manually hoisting the anchor and chain in 40 ft of water.  I assume you will be anchoring for the day to enjoy the sight of the tall ships and won't be anchoring overnight in 40 ft of water.  Common wisdom says the minimum chain should be approx the length of the boat.  IMHO given your light duty application, you could likely go with less but that would be a balance between having a good setup for future anchoring and cost.    150 ft of 1/2" twisted rode would be fine for the anchoring you are planning. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

sailr4

Ooh, Yeah, A Can of Worms ...  :D 

Minimum scope should be 5:1 even short term.  That's 220 feet of rode for 40 depth + 4 freeboard.  The type of anchor matters some, but not much on the amount of chain. (i.e. light Fortress anchors prefer less chain.)
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Ron Hill

Jeff : You are going to get everyone's preferences Just like religion and politics!!!

I tend to go for more chain like at least 30-50ft. 1/4" is OK as long as it is Hi-Strength chain.

With 3 strand nylon I found it gets stiff and hard to handle after a few years, where as nylon braided is rode a bit stronger and stays nimble over time. 

I NEVER put out a 3:1 lunch hook.  I've found it to be best always anchoring for a potential blow, just in case one comes up you're already set!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Here's a vote for 8-plait braided nylon rode. Easier to handle, and stores in 1/3 the space.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Agreed Noah.  When my 3 strand rode finally has seen it's last anchorage, I'll spring for 8 plait braid.  I love how compact it is in the anchor locker.  How long have you had yours?  Does it become less flexible with age?

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

I have only had it a year, so I can't speak beyond that. But I know folks who have used it happily for many seasons without complaint or stiffening. Works well on my Maxwell 500 windlass. I have 350 ft of 5/8 and 50 ft of chain with a 35lb. Manson Supreme for my primary anchor system. I keep my original 35 lb CQR and 250 feet of 5/8 3-strand as a back up, along with a 22 lb Danforth. I am anchor rich! Now I just need to go somewhere. 8) and soooon!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

DarthOccam

Your choice of chain may be determined be the windlass gypsy, if you have one.

Although you may not need more rode for this event, longer may come in handy in the future -- stuff happens.

And another vote for 8 plait braid.
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Jeff Kaplan

I thank all of you who responded.  Yes, my question does open a can of worms.  I do not have a windlass, so all by hand.  I am going to go with 25' of 5/16" chain and 200' of 1/2" braided nylon rope. For the amount of times I drop the hook, this should work out just fine.  As I stated, there will be no chance of a 7:1 scope, just going to be too many boats in the area I plan to anchor, maybe a 4:1 or possible 5:1. Anyone anchoring off Winthrop, send out a hail. In 2000, last tall ship parade, I had my C27 and was front boat, I can only hope for the same luck.

Ron Hill

Jeff : Here's an idea that you might consider. 
Before I installed a windless I always used a 15lb mushroom anchor as a sentinel - that I sent down the anchor rode. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

interesting idea Ron,  I'll consider that. Thanks