Dual Tank Propane Locker

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Thought I'd post a couple photos of the propane locker I have almost finished. I'll follow up with a couple more photos when I install in the boat. The new propane locker will hold an 11# tank for the galley, and a 5# tank for the rail mounted grill.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Bill Shreeves

Wow, beautiful work!  Where do you plan on storing it?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

Very nice! "Furniture grade!" I am also, intetested, in location and size--and would love to see the finished product and the hose penetration(s)/ location for your rail mounted BBQ.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Thanks I think it came out pretty nice. Not furniture quality, the photos make it look better than it is.

The locker will go in the aft lazerette on the starboard side. At the moment the only photo I have of where it will be installed is an early paper/fiberboard mock-up photo. The finished locker is moved up about 2" from the attached photo. The top of the new locker is ~6" lower than the top of the orginal single tank locker that was mounted on the steering radial cover.

The new locker is 22"L x 14 5/8"W x 13 5/8"H. The gasket to seal the top to the bottom is from Seward. The hoses and solenoid wires exit the locker through Trident vapor tight seals. The locker vent is on the bottom with a 3/4" elbow threaded on one end and hose barb on the other.

From the locker, the propane hose to the rail mounted grill will pass thru the below deck 3" vent hose via a  3" x 2" sanitation tee (yup the plumbing kind) and out the cowell opening on the deck. It will be covered with 3/4" split loom for chafe and UV protection and tie wrapped to the rail until connecting to the grill.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Roc

In this link, Fred put a hose leading from the propane locker to a rail mounted BBQ grill.  Very nice installation.  Go to his attached blog link.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8263.msg58106.html#msg58106

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jon W

I installed the propane locker today. Some photos attached of the locker installed and the hose routed and connected for the BBQ. Still working on running the galley hose, wiring the solenoid and connecting the propane sensor/alarm.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon- i assume the top doesn't hinge open. I see the closure clasps on one side, are they on the other side(s) as well? And if so, how do you reach them to fasten or open when box is installed in place? They look like they would be hard to reach.
Standard Rig

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Did you or can you leave enough slack in the hoses so that they could be swapped in case one tank runs out?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Noah

One, nice advantage you have on your boat is your reefer compressor is mounted in your main salon, not mounted back under the starboard side of the lazarette, so you have more depth in there.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Hi Noah, There are 4 SST latches. It is close, but the latches can be easily opened/closed by reaching over the top of the locker. The top is completely removed to access the inside.

Because it's a tight fit, the 11# tank needs to start horizontal then rotate down into the locker to install. Reverse the rotation to remove from the locker. Not a problem just something to remember.

Hi Mike, The original plan was to be able to swap tanks if one ran out like you suggest, but couldn't get it to work in my comfort zone. In an emergency I think I could make it work if needed.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

In case anyone is considering upgrading to a dual tank propane locker, I've put a write up of my completed project with photos in the Tech WIKI under the section "Galley" and sub section "Stove/Propane". The name is - 1987 MK 1 Catalina 34 Dual Tank Propane Locker.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Nice mod! But one thing to consider is Jon has his fridge compressor located in the main salon, under the settee, not in the aft locker, where many MKI OEM compressors are located.
Standard Rig

Alex W

Jon,

Thanks for the excellent write up in the Wiki!  And an extra thank you for providing part numbers/suppliers!  This job is now on the list for this winter :)
Firefly
'88 c34 #713
Middle River, MD

Jon W

Hi Alex, you're welcome and I'm glad you found it helpful. The parts are very good quality and what I used, but remember there are other choices out there.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca