Prop and strut prep.

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

My boat is out of the water so I took a brass wire wheel to the prop and strut to remove barnacles that were attached. The wheel took most of the barnacles off but could not remove some remnants. See pic. Question, do I just apply prop paint over this or maybe use an acid wash that will remove?

mark_53

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 06, 2017, 10:55:24 AM
My question is, how much could one possibly save compared to using a proper tool, and is it really worth it?

Ok, mister smarty, what is the "proper tool"?

Noah

It may just be your photo, but it looks to me that you have some significant pitting on your prop? If that's truly the case it involves further investigation and perhaps a trip to the prop shop for evaluation?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

Quote from: Noah on May 06, 2017, 11:45:17 AM
It may just be your photo, but it looks to me that you have some significant pitting on your prop? If that's truly the case it involves further investigation a perhaps a trip to the prop for evaluation?

Yes, there definitely is some pitting.  Shaft zinc fell off between my divers return.  Probably a good reason to have 2 zincs on the shaft.

Ron Hill

Mark : There is nothing wrong with 2 Zn on the prop shaft.  I'd try some of the thick "Lime-a-Way" and see if it doesn't soften up the barnacle residue so you can remove it before using some Zn paint on the prop & strut.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: mark_53 on May 06, 2017, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on May 06, 2017, 10:55:24 AM
My question is, how much could one possibly save compared to using a proper tool, and is it really worth it?

Ok, mister smarty, what is the "proper tool"?

DUH!!!  Wrong thread.  LOL. That's what i get for trying to do this on my "smart" phone.

I Reposted to the correct thread!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ed Shankle

I have success by scrapping the barnacles off with a putty knife, then finishing with a scotchbrite wheel to get the remnants and prep for a fresh anti fouling coat. The barnacles otherwise would tear up the scotchbrite pad.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

mainesail

That looks like dezicification and there is nothing you can do to fix dealloying of the prop. It may have even lost som strength. Any paint used on a prop should not contain copper..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/