Sherwood Water Pump replacement with Oberdorfer on M25XPB

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

I put the 908 on my XPB this past weekend. Fairly simple install with just a bit of grinding needed on one of the hose barbs for clearance with the other elbow fitting. It probably took me 2 hours from start to finish with clean-up and a run test.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Roland Gendreau

With the new oberdorfer installed, is it necessary to prime it on first starting the engine?   If so does one prime it by just filling up the inlet hose with the bleeder loosened on the pump?
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Noah

I installed a "216" on my 25XP with no bleeding/priming necessary.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SPembleton

I have an oberdorfer pump and have only had to prime it once.  That occurred because i had the inlet valve open and changed the impeller when on the hard.  Obviously the water all ran out.  Since then i always close the water intake valve before changing the impeller and have not had another problem.

The one time that I did need to prime it, i just removed the effluent side and poured water into the pump. I reconnected the hose and it started up fine.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

kwaltersmi

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on May 16, 2017, 06:16:13 PM
With the new oberdorfer installed, is it necessary to prime it on first starting the engine?   If so does one prime it by just filling up the inlet hose with the bleeder loosened on the pump?

No priming was necessary for me.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Roland Gendreau

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on May 17, 2017, 07:11:31 PM
Thanks. No priming was needed for mine.

Rubber impeller pumps such as the Oberdorfer are self priming to an extent, provided:

there is no air lock in the system. 

there is a good seal on the impeller to the cover, and fins to the case.  If the impeller or pump cover wears so there is a poor seal, it doesn't matter how good the fins are.

I use 120v and 12v impeller pumps to pull water up 10 feet or more.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

womble

I did the change too - Sherwood to Oberdorfer. However, my engine temp gauge now doesn't get much above 135 degrees - it was 160 before the change.
Is there any way to restrict the flow?
Since the temp difference occurred immediately after the switch, I don't think it is the thermostat.

KWKloeber

Quote from: womble on May 25, 2017, 06:20:52 AM
I did the change too - Sherwood to Oberdorfer. However, my engine temp gauge now doesn't get much above 135 degrees - it was 160 before the change.
Is there any way to restrict the flow?
Since the temp difference occurred immediately after the switch, I don't think it is the thermostat.

Put your engine/year in your signature.  You have an xpb per the subject?

The thermostat restricts the flow.
There can be several reasons why a temp gauge reads "incorrectly". First they are highly "plus or minus", like up to 15 degrees.  Poor ground on the sender (a nortorious issue), bad connections at the panel.

Look at the teleflex gauge troubleshooting guide on the wiki and run thru the easy steps and let us know the results.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Bill Shreeves

Ken,
What, if anything, do you suggest using on the gasket between the pump and engine block?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

When I did mine I just cleaned the engine mating surface and used the paper gasket--without any type of goooop. Works fine. No leaks.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on May 26, 2017, 12:17:31 PM
Ken,
What, if anything, do you suggest using on the gasket between the pump and engine block?

Nada.

Which engine and whose gasket?  Wb or Kb?

Ken

Bill Shreeves

M25xpb, OB 908 pump with paper Universal part #302678 pump gasket.  Need the diameter and thickness of the gasket?  ;)

Isn't it pretty much just sealing out debris?  I don't think water should be present at that seal.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on May 26, 2017, 02:45:49 PM
M25xpb, OB 908 pump with paper Universal part #302678 pump gasket.  Need the diameter and thickness of the gasket?  ;)

Isn't it pretty much just sealing out debris?  I don't think water should be present at that seal.

Sealing oil from leaking past the pump land.

Nothing needed, just the round Wb gasket. I prefer using Kb gaskets but that's irrelevant - still no goop needed / desirable.

kk.

Hawk

Just a heads up that on my M35 I just replaced my Sherwood with an Oberdorfer from Ken and used the stud kit he provides. Has been working great. Was a slight bit of filing to mod it in to fit and on the original elbows.
Thanks for all the tips Ken. I'd recommend it and Ken's guidance, as and if needed.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35