Substitute for Universal Silver Blue / Ice Blue Engine Paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Spencer

My M35A is developing some rust and I would like to touch it up but the Universal Paint (Westerbeke PN 302981) only shows up on the internet at eye-watering prices ranging from $34.10 USD to $56.99 Cdn. 
Here are some links that I found:
http://catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3174/engine-paint-for-universal-diesels-silver-blue.cfm
https://www.marinepartssupply.com/browse/paint/westerbeke
http://store.carpcoastalmarine.com/westerbeke-302981-paint-ice-blue-aerosol/

The only reference that I can find about painting engines on the C34 forum is Les Luzar's post on repainting his M25 with the Universal bronze colour.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8475.msg59752.html#msg59752

Has anyone found a substitute automotive or other common (and less expensive) paint that closely matches the Universal silver blue colour.  I've taken a painted part off my engine to several automotive stores and haven't found any matches yet.  I can experiment with mixing paints to get the right colour but I thought I would poll the wisdom of this forum first.

Embarrassing rusty picture below. :oops:

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Dave : The closest I was able to find was --- Ice Blue Metallic color from  "Duple Color", can spray @ Pep Boys.

Hope this helps 
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Dave,

I feel your pain.  Westerbeke is mightily proud of their rattle can paint.

I am doing some auto parts shopping and will take along a spare thermostat housing to zee if I see anything color. 
Have you tried Pontiac Blue engine paint by Duplicolor?  Or one of their VHT engine paints, I believe there's a blue-gray.

BTW, Rustoleum has a copper (1st pic) that's very close to the Universal copper-bronze (2nd pic). 
The RO is a little brighter and metallic, a nice "upgrade."

ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

Thanks Ron and Ken,
It sounds like Dupli Color is the best bet.  My Canadian Tire store has racks of Dupli Color brand paint but none even close to Ice Blue.  I'll keep hunting around auto supply stores looking for ice blue, blue grey or Pontiac (or Oldsmobile) engine paint.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

Dave,

I'm standing at the Autozone duplicolor rack looking at color  BHA0905 Avignon blue metallic (B26M.)
  It's a little more blue than the universal (which is more gray)  but damn close.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

Thanks Ken,
I'll check out the reference you've provided.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario

rbarnhartotg

Even though I am responding to a very old post there might be some info that I can pass along for all those that might still need advice, as I did recently. Usually I will go directly to manufacturer
for parts or supplies (topic for another day) but recently I had a long list of things to do on the boat and only a day to do them. After reading the posts on ideas on Universal Silver/Blue engine paint I knew I could find something in a hurry so stopped at big box hardware store. In the paint section i found Rust-Oleum Gloss Royal Blue and Metallic Aluminum. I bought a quart of each and got the color very close with a 50-50 mixture. Very satisfying to be able to stop by the hardware on the way to the boat, get what I needed and save some money. At $8/ quart you will have enough paint to touch up all the Universals in the marina.

Thanks,
Rick B