Starting/reserve battery

Previous topic - Next topic

hwd

Has anyone used an automotive Group 41 battery (650 CCA) as a starter/reserve battery?  I have a M-35B Universal diesel that specifies 400-600 CCA for starting (per engine manual).   I have four Trojan T105s configured as my house bank, which I also use for routine starting, so the Group 41 will be used only for emergency starting as necessary.  Any potential problems if I use this battery?  I don't have the space for a Group 24 or 27.

rmbrown

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9404.msg70263.html#msg70263

I recently asked a similar question and got an alternative answer...  maybe it helps?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

No room under the aft bunk for group 24?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

hwd

hwd

hwd

I'm planning on using an echo charger, so I think I need to stay with a flooded start battery to be compatible with the T-105s...

rmbrown

I'm using an ACR.  I'll leave it to Maine Sail to say whether Echo makes a difference in this case, but I'm definitely flooded as well.  I have the 12V version of those T105s.

Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on April 27, 2017, 02:52:42 PM
I'm using an ACR.  I'll leave it to Maine Sail to say whether Echo makes a difference in this case, but I'm definitely flooded as well.  I have the 12V version of those T105s.

Nope, makes no difference.  Each will provide the same VOLTAGE to the reserve bank.

To the OP:  Grp 41 is WAAAY overkill.  A 60ah Grp 24 would do just fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

Quote from: Noah on April 27, 2017, 02:23:41 PM
No room under the aft bunk for group 24?

That's where my starting battery is.

Jeff Kaplan

I use 2 Group 31 truck batteries, purchase at truck parts store and truck dealers.  If they can start 525HP Cat diesels, they can start our engines, with plenty in reserve.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jeff Kaplan

Forgot to mention that I have seen Group 31 batteries for sale at Mack and I/H dealers for under $100-, 950 CCA. These batteries will stand up well on the boat, no need for deep cycle. I'm going on my 4th year with the pair.

Craig Illman

I could never step foot in a Brand X truck dealer. Gives me shivers to think about it, even being retired now.  :roll:

Stu Jackson

Quote from: hwd on April 27, 2017, 02:42:08 PM
I'm planning on using an echo charger, so I think I need to stay with a flooded start battery to be compatible with the T-105s...

Harry,

Try this:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7663.msg52505.html#msg52505
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

J_Sail

Couple quick comments.

In response to the statement,
QuoteI'm using an ACR.  I'll leave it to Maine Sail to say whether Echo makes a difference in this case, but I'm definitely flooded as well.  I have the 12V version of those T105s.

Someone replied,
QuoteNope, makes no difference.  Each will provide the same VOLTAGE to the reserve bank.

That is not exactly true. The Echo, being a "voltage follower" device, will always put out a slightly lower voltage that its input. An ACR, on the other hand, ties the two lines directly together. Thus, the Echo charges the reserve at a slightly lower voltage. The difference is not large, but I suspect it makes the Echo a better choice for recharging an AGM reserve if your primary battery bank is flooded.

Might be interesting to see if MaineSail has a strong opinion.

Jeff Kaplan

Craig, Mack , Peterbilt, Kenworth, I/H, Freightliner dealerships are not brand X stores, I know, because I sell these dealerships in New England HD parts. Buying from a used truck only dealership is a different story.