Mast base wiring connector

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I'm away from the boat or I'd know the answer to this one, but I replaced the wiring in my mast with a Catalina Direct replacement kit.  There's a connector at the bottom that matches the connector in the boat.  Those must be keyed in some way so that they can only be installed in one way.  I neglected to determine which of the two wires that exit mid height is the steaming light and which is the deck light.  Anyone know which pin is steaming or which is deck so that I can stand a decent chance of wiring it correctly.  Now that it's in the mast the the mast is 100' from the boat, it's a little trickier to do with a multi-meter. :)
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Can you trace the wire color instead of a continuity test?  They are color coded per the 12v schematic.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

I'm afraid not... The new wires have red to masthead, where the white should be... And white and green to the spreaders, where red and yellow should be, according to p33 of the 1.5 manual.

I guess I can just guess and swap around wires on the panel of I'm wrong. ;)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

So if you know what color wire goes to which on the mast, then there's no issue on that end. 

The only question seems to be on the boat side -- which color wire goes to which pin on the connector.  You don't need to do a continuity test with the mast you just need to determine which pin is energized with which switch, say pin "x" for the masthead.  Easy peasy.  And match that to the correct pin on the mast side. Also easy peasy.  Unless I am missing the forest because of the trees?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

I'm afraid not... The new wires have red to masthead, where the white should be... And white and green to the spreaders, where red and yellow should be, according to p33 of the 1.5 manual.

I guess I can just guess and swap around wires on the panel of I'm wrong. ;)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Sorry for the double post.  More likely a poorly stated question on my part. :)  I'll figure it out this weekend.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : The mast wires to that connector are known so that half should not be a problem. 

Take a meter to the boat connector wires and turn ON/OFF switches on the panel to figure out that other half of the connection.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Thanks, Ron... I was just being lazy and hoping to avoid testing the boat side.  I was hoping I'd just overlooked a diagram that showed pins 1-4 of that connector and identified their function so I could just test on the mast side.  Maybe I'll put one together.  At least it will be correct for one boat!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Dave Spencer

Hi Mike,
I have the diagram for the mast light connector for my boat but unfortunately, it's 250 km away in my notebook that I left on board.  I'll be up to do some spring work on her on Friday and can get it for you then but I suspect you will have already sorted it out by the weekend. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

rmbrown

Dave:

I won't be back at my boat until Saturday and then my first priority is to install all new thru-hulls so if you remember it, I'd love to have it!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : It has been my experience with Catalina wire color that I surely would NOT trust it.  I'd check  it with a meter.  There is no telling if "Paco" ran out of a certain color wire that day and may have substituted another color!!

A true thought!! 
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

I'm definitely proceeding on the assumption that wire color means nothing but figure there's a reasonable change that which pins were used for which function stayed the same.  (I know what they say about assuming, however.  Worst case, I'll lop off the ancient connector on the boat side and replace it with a shiny new one to match the one I just installed on the mast. :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Dave Spencer

Hi Mike,
I'm at my boat now and checked the mast plug. My results are as follows:

Boat side:
Hold the square plug so that the ground (male) is at 12 o'clock looking into the plug:
3 o'clock- Steaming Light
6 o'clock - Anchor Light
9 o'clock - Deck Light

This means at the mast, holding the square plug with the ground (female) at 12 o'clock you would get:
3 o'clock - Deck Light
6 o'clock - Anchor Light
9 o'clock - Steaming Light

Your boat may be different but that is how I just measured mine. Let me know if yours is the same. Wire colours may not mean much but hopefully the connector orientation is the same across boats.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario

rmbrown

Square plug?  Mine's round but with 4 pins arranged in a square. Any chance of posting a picture of yours so I can see if we have something similar?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Dave Spencer

Hi Mike,
Pictures attached. You can see quite a bit of electrical tape on the harness. I'm not sure if the connector was changed or if it is there as anti chafe.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario