Coach Roof Leak

Previous topic - Next topic

smithpe

Last week while sailing (hull #1570, 2001) nicely in 3-5 ft waves on Lake Erie and occasionally getting some green water over the bow, water began to drip into the cabin from the bolts which secure the starboard main sheet bock to the roof near the mast.  The next day I removed the block and could see no sign of water entry but there was water in the core where the bolts go through.  Using Life Caulk, I rebedded the block and tightened the bolts.

My concern is that the water entered the core some place else and that I was only treating the signs of the problem and not curing the problem.  Does anyone have any recommendations or experience to share?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

c34member

Rot takes some time to occur.  Your solution was doubtless sufficient.  If you really want to be sure you should pull the base, dig out the core with an allen wrench or bent nail.  Fill the holes with epoxy.  Re-drill the holes and remount the base with caulk.  

If water is getting into the core somewhere else I have no knowledge of simple solutions.  Keep an eye on the internal fittings for signs of more water and be especially watchful for weak spots in the deck when you walk around. Short of drilling test holes or sophisticated moisture metering probes I don't know how you eliminate the possibility of wet core.  Hopefully someone else has some light to shed.