laminates/plastic

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

My flexible solar panel after 4yrs has a slight color change, from blue to a blue/gray.  This panel stays on the boat all year around.  This change is due to the UV rays to the plastic or laminate.  It does not affect the output of the panel.  Any ideas as to cleaning the laminate on the panel?
Appreciate any ideas.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul

I have used collinite cleaner on hard clear plastic followed by maintenance w/ 303 UV protectant and or collinite wax.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Fred Koehlmann

Before you try a cleaner, have you tried just using warm water and a mild dish detergent. It might just be a layer of air pollutants that have collected on the surface.

Since you point out that the charge out put has not been affected, i'd be careful using something that would coat the surface with a wax and potentially get between the light and the panel surface.

If you really want to do it, you could do a test one just one panel and see if there is a difference between the two?
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Paulus

Fred, thanks for the advice, intend to follow a very careful path and might end up doing nothing.   I did wash with soap and water.   I have contacted 3 makers of flexible panels and spoke with one of them by phone.  He had heard of this issue, but not from their customers.   
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Fred,
Most of the makers of flexible panels recommended soap and water.  Only one thought that I might try a product with "deet" in it.  Went with the soap and water and the panel is working just fine.  Most fexible panels will over time became a little blue/grayish color.  The Solbian Company is the only one that mentions this in their literature.(Did not check all companies)  Other companies said they had not received any questions/ from their customers, nor were they willing to share the names of customers with flexible panels.  Receive a very strong negative response to "deet".  It does work but over a short period of time it intensifies the problem.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Roc

What about using Imar. It's for plastic dodger windows.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

What the heck is "deet"?  Surely not DEET the insect repellant?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Paulus

Noah, Yes!! I am assuming that it would also kill any bugs rest on the panel.  Did not ask. One solar technician suggested I try a small area. My local NAPA store told me that truckers use it for their headlights.  The mechanic at Torresen(I have known him for 25 years) and I were talking about this and he had tried deet on his truck headlights and was very emphatic about not using it.
Paul

Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

And WD40 cures arthritis.. I sware it does.... :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

J_Sail

Yes, DEET is a very strong solvent for many plastics (in other words "Destructive of plastics).  While it might initially remove some discolored or clouded surface, I cannot imagine it being a good idea.

DEET is know to be destructive to most acetates, breathable laminates like Gor-Tex, some watch crystal plastics and some eyeglass lens materials. For that reason, I never use insect repellant spray containing DEET around any plastics.

https://theboatgalley.com/deet-and-plastics/

BTW, fortunately DEET does not structurally damage Spectra/Dyneema, so your high-tech rigging is safe.
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/106465641/deet-and-nylon

mainesail

Quote from: Paulus on May 04, 2017, 04:44:15 AM
Fred,
Most of the makers of flexible panels recommended soap and water.  Only one thought that I might try a product with "deet" in it.  Went with the soap and water and the panel is working just fine.  Most fexible panels will over time became a little blue/grayish color.  The Solbian Company is the only one that mentions this in their literature.(Did not check all companies)  Other companies said they had not received any questions/ from their customers, nor were they willing to share the names of customers with flexible panels.  Receive a very strong negative response to "deet".  It does work but over a short period of time it intensifies the problem.
Paul

Deet destroys plastics, delaminates Gore-Tex jackets, eyeglasses, and overall is death to many plastics. I have had customers destroy plotter screens, instruments screens and dodger glass with spray formulations of bug dope containing deet. My daughter even destroyed her Swatch watch when she put spray bug dope on at a friends house.

The best option I have found is IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish #302 with a polishing grade foam pad on a quality RO buffer. Lay it on a flat surface and buff it back. Eventually the cloudy laminate will impact output. You can then protect it with 303 Aerospace Protectant (Not 303 Fabric Guard the Sunbrella stuff)..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Paulus

Will  IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish #302 and 303 Aerospace Protectant  prevent the laminate from further clouding?
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul, I'm un familiar with 302, but I  started using 303 in 1993 based on a recommendation and I can't say enough good things about it. It's awesome

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

J_Sail

I agree with Mainesail and the others. The only thing that will prevent clouding better is.....

Keep them out of the sun!

Oh, yeah, guess that's not a great option.