Rolling at Anchor

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

My new 34, (to me -1987 model) rolled back and forth considerably at anchor at Santa Cruz Island my first time there.  Has anyone tried the Rock & Roll Stabilizer from MAGMA?  Any other suggestions to minimize rolling?

Thanks,

Paul

jentine

You don't say what the source of the roll is.  If it is from the sea from one direction and the wind from another, the problem is solvable.  The next time you are anchored in a similar situation, tie a line to your anchor rode using a rolling hitch.  Let out another 10' of rode and run the line  to your sheet winch.  Crank the winch until the boat angles into the swell.  You will have the wind on your beam, but the ride will be much better.
Jim Kane

Paul

The source was just swell comming in. Next to no wind so the boat did swing slowly in almost all directions. Will your suggestion work with no wind?

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try.

Paul

Stu Jackson

Paul

Resist the "temptation" to buy something extra.  I don't believe the cost is worth the end result for that product.

No wind won't work with Jim's solution, which, BTW, is perfect and has worked for us for years - WITH wind.  Also was recomended by the Pardey's in their Cost Concious Cruiser book.

Rolly achorages, as you described, can, as you know, occur when the wind has stopped but the seas are still up, but falling.

Simple answer, choose wisely or move.

Easy to say, harder to do.

Good luck,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PAUL T.

Paul.... I've been cruising the Channel Islands for many years. I like to lay anchors bow and stern to keep my bow into the swell. I also monitor the swell direction and size prediction on a website called WET SAND.COM. The back side of the island is calmer but watch out for a south swell. You should also get the book "CRUISING THE CHANNEL ISLANDS" by FAGEN,and read it until you have it almost memorized,this book is the BIBLE of the CHANNEL ISLANDS. Try WEST MARINE. HAPPY SAILING.....

hdevera

I agree with Paul.  Best way make life comfortable at anchor is to put your bow into the direction of the swells.  Otherwise get a catamaran.

PLKennedy

Paul, I had the same problem in Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard 25 years ago.  It still exists, but I have it licked; I don't go there.

Peter